Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mother and sister are on a trip from Minnesota to Texas for a week, well they made it to Lebon, Kansas... All the tranny fluid spilled on the ground from a broken plastic fitting near the front of the car. from what my sister told me they were driving and the car "dinged" and said check trans on the message center then the tranny "went out" and they pulled over and went to look and all the fluid was on the ground. they had it towed to a repair shop (on a flatbed) yesterday and are still waiting for the part. Do you guys think any damage was done to the tranny?

On a side note the mechanic said there are two plastic fittings and he said it looked like one had been replaced before so i am thinking this is a result of it being a rebuilt salvage. Just too bad it couldn't have shown up a bit sooner...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Uh oh...hopefully nothing got burned up. If the transmission pumped all the fluid out...not a good sign.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If it was a massive loss of fluid the tranny would lose control pressure and disengage the current gear. As long as it was shut off quickly it's probably OK. If the leak was slower and gears were partially engaged, that's a different story.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well they are back on the road now and they said it seems fine so i hope so. and i hope there is no permanant damage done that could shorten its life. the way it sounds the ding chimed and then almost imediatly lost pressure and "went out" so i am hoping it lost more pressure and didnt try to burn anything up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts