Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 Taurus SE stalls during a left hand turn. This has happened several times. I can immediately start it back up again, but am scared that I will get hit while in an intersection. I have read several sites where a lot of people have this complaint, but no one seems to have an answer. Anyone here have a clue?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Do you have a CEL on? How does the car run otherwise? Rough idle?

Troy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No CEL, runs fine otherwise....occasionally feels like it going to stall, and then sometimes it does stall, but this only happens when turning left.....I was told to just find a way to get where I'm going by only turning right!!!!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
lol, that would be good if you were a UPS driver ;)

Try cleaning out your IAC valve, it looks like this;

It's cheap to clean out (Buy a can of Throttle Body Cleaner) and spray it into the 2 ports, be careful because the cleaner will shoot back out of the hole, you will notice that it is black when it comes out, this is carbon build up it causes the IAC to stick and not adjust Idle when things like the Power steering or air conditioning are used.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Have you noticed what your fuel level is like when you stall going into a turn? If you're near empty, you might be starving the fuel pump when fuel migrates to one side of the tank.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
When this happens, are you at a dead stop? And are you turning the wheel as far as it goes to the left?
Yes, the PS has a pressure switch that gooses the idle when the pressure builds in turning. The IAC does the work but maybe the IAC is sticking, maybe the pressure switch is not working. If you are sitting still, brake on, ilde normal, in gear, turn the wheel all the way and the idle should hold steady any maybe jump up a few rpm. If not, it will likely be the IAC or pressure switch.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
A GOOD scan tool will allow you to monitor the on/off state of the PSPS to verify its operation. I suppose a DMM on a low ohms or continuity scale connected to the PSPS terminals could be used to verify its operation.

Anothe possibility is, since the engine (and its wiring harness) shifts a little on its mounts during turns, that a wire somewhere in the harness is momentiarly shorting to ground or opening, or a connector looses a contact when it is slightly shifted / stressed. Problems like that are an absolute BITCH to sort out. Years ago a friend had this kind of thing happening on a Nissan 260Z that was only a few years old at the time. It took us close to a year to finially find a connector with an intermittant contact.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
A GOOD scan tool will allow you to monitor the on/off state of the PSPS to verify its operation. I suppose a DMM on a low ohms or continuity scale connected to the PSPS terminals could be used to verify its operation...........................
I wish cars had sensors mounted on the chassis so that clunking/squeaking could be scanned for diagnosis.

Regarding the connector that got disconnected momentarily, how did you find it? Epiphany? I am just curious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts