Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this Taurus from a Ford Dealer 10,000 miles ago and just got around to rotating the tires. They all look in good shape with plenty of tread except the front driver side:

Completely worn down on the inside. My experience is all with motorcycles so alignment is a new deal for me. Can this be diagnosed from just the symptom? Again, the other 3 tires don't show this kind of wear. No pull on the steering while driving, no odd sounds coming from the front suspension.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
It could be a few things like worn inner or outer tierod ends. You maybe able to feel play in the tire if it is jacked up you move it at 3 and 9 o'clock.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
It could be a few things like worn inner or outer tierod ends. You maybe able to feel play in the tire if it is jacked up you move it at 3 and 9 o'clock.
Add. One side only indicates camber on one side which would be ball joint, control arm, strut or body alignment.

One more and I have seen this recently on '03 I bought couple months back.
Car pulls left slightly, alignment is fine. Switched tires front side to side than pulls right. Positive it a tire issue. Switched the tire with inside wear to the rear and no more pull. Positive the bad tire is the one with the inside wear. I have seen this before and that tire on the rear will still wear more but it does not effect the car driving.

Both tires wearing inside about same and likely toe is out.

-chart-

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Add. One side only indicates camber on one side which would be ball joint, control arm, strut or body alignment.

Car pulls left slightly, alignment is fine. Switched tires front side to side than pulls right. Positive it a tire issue. Switched the tire with inside wear to the rear and no more pull. Positive the bad tire is the one with the inside wear. I have seen this before and that tire on the rear will still wear more but it does not effect the car driving.

Both tires wearing inside about same and likely toe is out.

-chart-

I am thinking that a worn tie rod on one side will effect that side since the rack is a solid link which is moved by a fix point pinion. Any change in length of each side acts independent to that side. Total toe will increase but toe to center point of car will only increase for the worn side. Maybe wrong but I have seem to have that happen to me.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
I am thinking that a worn tie rod on one side will effect that side since the rack is a solid link which is moved by a fix point pinion. Any change in length of each side acts independent to that side. Total toe will increase but toe to center point of car will only increase for the worn side. Maybe wrong but I have seem to have that happen to me.
Agree, slack on one side will effect that tire as it can toe in/out depending on what is happening without effecting the other tire much. Slack is one thing, easy to check. Toe off but still no slack will effect both tires.

From picking tires/wheels from the JY nearby, very common one or both severe wear on the inside. Better finds are back wheels.

I have seen from time to time vehicles with one front wheel cambered out 5degrees or more just driving down the road like they had good sense.
Had X son-inlaw with my past '88 Taurus and he told me a tie rod came un-screwed and fell out. He was turning at a gas station. Tire ruined and the station had a shop and put the tie rod back in to the nut and sold him a tire. Imagine how that car was driving?

-chart-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention I am feeling a vibration through the steering wheel at highway speeds. Could be my imagination but it seems worse since the rotation.

So grappling the front wheel while jacked up and having it move would indicate the tie rod end is shot?

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Forgot to mention I am feeling a vibration through the steering wheel at highway speeds. Could be my imagination but it seems worse since the rotation.

So grappling the front wheel while jacked up and having it move would indicate the tie rod end is shot?

You can have some one turn the steering wheel and feel the outer tie rod end for looseness but inner is harder to feel. You can jack the tire up and try to wiggle it but make sure the steering wheel doesn't move also.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I bought this Taurus from a Ford Dealer 10,000 miles ago and just got around to rotating the tires. They all look in good shape with plenty of tread except the front driver side:

Completely worn down on the inside. My experience is all with motorcycles so alignment is a new deal for me. Can this be diagnosed from just the symptom? Again, the other 3 tires don't show this kind of wear. No pull on the steering while driving, no odd sounds coming from the front suspension.

if you can, jack up the car and let the lower steering knuckle where the strut goes into rest on the stand, let the jack down some.
now, do the wiggle test. if your seeing play now, possible bad wheel bearing. off the jack stand test but jacked up, you can wiggle the
wheel to check for inner and outer tie rod play. replace as needed. The inner takes a special tool to get off.

Taurus were notorious for broken springs. as chunks of the spring break off the strut, camber gradually goes negative and can
cause tire wear issues. if you have a way to measure camber angle (you can get a app for your phone to measure angles)
see what it is on both sides of the car.

while your down there...

look for chunks of fresher looking grease or oil. A bad cv boot can eject crud onto the inside of the wheels and cause
balance issues

bob

·
Registered
6,578 Posts

Not sure that tire has a lot of life left since the wear bars seem to be almost even with the thread. Maybe the inner wear at that point of thread wear is not unexpected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The inner groove goes just to George's head, the outer groove is noticeably more. I don't see how just this tire is wearing more than the other unless there is some sort of suspension issue there, or could there be that much variation in tire manufacturing?

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
The inner groove goes just to George's head, the outer groove is noticeably more. I don't see how just this tire is wearing more than the other unless there is some sort of suspension issue there, or could there be that much variation in tire manufacturing?
Yes, see post 3.

-chart-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So would you use a special tire rotation scheme to keep the bad tire in back?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you can, jack up the car and let the lower steering knuckle where the strut goes into rest on the stand, let the jack down some.
now, do the wiggle test. if your seeing play now, possible bad wheel bearing. off the jack stand test but jacked up, you can wiggle the
wheel to check for inner and outer tie rod play. replace as needed. The inner takes a special tool to get off.

Taurus were notorious for broken springs. as chunks of the spring break off the strut, camber gradually goes negative and can
cause tire wear issues. if you have a way to measure camber angle (you can get a app for your phone to measure angles)
see what it is on both sides of the car.

while your down there...

look for chunks of fresher looking grease or oil. A bad cv boot can eject crud onto the inside of the wheels and cause
balance issues
Thanks Bob. I'm learning the terminology so forgive me if I'm mis-interpreting, but it looks to me like the knuckle is inside the rim and I can't put it on the jack stand. The only thing that I could rest it on in there is the wishbone control arm. Would that serve the same purpose?

There didn't seem to be much play (<mm) just wiggling the wheel while jacked. The spring and CV boot look fine. After rotation and a few thousand miles, the new tire in that spot doesn't seem to be showing any extra wear. I guess a bad tire would be good news overall...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Thanks Bob. I'm learning the terminology so forgive me if I'm mis-interpreting, but it looks to me like the knuckle is inside the rim and I can't put it on the jack stand. The only thing that I could rest it on in there is the wishbone control arm. Would that serve the same purpose?

There didn't seem to be much play (<mm) just wiggling the wheel while jacked. The spring and CV boot look fine. After rotation and a few thousand miles, the new tire in that spot doesn't seem to be showing any extra wear. I guess a bad tire would be good news overall...

You use both the floor jack and the jack stand when you do this. essentially, you want load the spring some so it does not move when
you do the jerk up down back and forth move. Take the tire off for more access when you do this.

the wear pattern on a tire can tell you a lot of what to look for. if the tire was wearing consistently more on the inside of the tire,
i would suspect negative camber angle probably due to spring and strut issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_angle

if you get movement left to right when jiggling the hub, its probably tie rod ends. The inner are fun because it
requires a special metal tube tool to go over the existing tie rod with a tool insert in the end. outters should be no
big deal for well equipped DIY.

you can do a ghetto alignment by stretching a long sting between the front and rear tires and measuring the distance between the
tire and string. there are bits on line about that too.

A bad wheel hub usually makes a droning sort of sound that seems to be worse at certain speeds.

bob

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I had a bad hub on my '00 wagon that was loose enough to warp a new rotor due to it dragging on the pads yet it did not make any sounds. Hub bearings can be loose and silent. Shouldn't be any play in the tie rod ends either inner or outer. Jacking wheel off the ground and using a bar under the tire is the easy way to see if hubs are loose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
5 Participants
repairman54
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing