Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Ford Taurus SE, 3.0L Vulcan, AX4N/4F50N transmission
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 06 Taurus SE, and I'm new to Fords altogether. I had no issues at all on the test drive; however, about 600 miles later I'm having a vibration issue. I can not figure out exactly what's causing the issue, and I'm praying it's not in the transmission. After the car has sat long enough to cool down completely, and is started up, everything is smooth for about the first 10 miles until everything is nice and warmed up, then the car begins to vibrate once the transmission shifts into overdrive cruising at highway speeds ~60 mph. I put some "Instant Shudder Fixx" in the tranny today, hoping that fixes the issue. I don't know when the last transmission service was done, so I'm going to have a trusted mobile mechanic drain & fill with Genuine Motorcraft Mercon V ATF, and replace the filter and gasket, and possibly add a bottle of LubeGard Red (worked really well on my '97 Civic).

With that said, I have a few questions.

• How many qts of fluid should i pick up for a drain & fill?
  • I've read about 'resetting' the transmission because it somehow stores driving habits. Could this possibly be an issue? If so how do I reset what it's learned from previous owner?
  • Can I use any Mercon V ATF in power steering?
If anyone has any additional information that may be able to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it... Being on fixed income sucks, otherwise I'd just take it in to a shop for complete diagnosis; however, I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Not sure Lube Guard Red is the right product I think Green is.https://www.lubegard.com/products/green/
I noticed that I get a shaking on all my Taurus at 60-65 mph and it is usually due to tire unbalance. It seems to be the sweet spot for my three Taurus. I have the tires rebalanced and it helps. Constant vibration is not related to transmission fluid just when shifting and the shift to overdrive but not constant.

·
Registered
22,819 Posts
I'd grab 6-8 qts. of Mercon 5 atf. Walmart Supertech brand is fine. And yes, Mercon 5 atf can/should be used in the ps. I just remove the ps fluid with a turkey baster and refill. You'll probably want to reuse the tranny pan gasket if it's marked "reusable" instead of the crappy/flimsy one that comes with the filter kit. ^+1 on the LubeGard Green for Mercon 5 atf applications, but the Red or Platinum (synthetic) would be fine too. Just don't use the Mopar/Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth. Iirc, Black.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If the vibration seems to be speed related I would focus on tires/suspension/alignment. Maybe rotate the tires and while they are off check them really well for uneven wear patterns or signs that the tires are bad. Since the car is new to you it's also a good time to visually inspect suspension parts. It's a place to start anyway that doesn't cost you anything but time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for your informative responses! :)

I had the tires rotated & balanced less than 100 miles ago, unfortunately, that didn't solve my problem. I've also had a mechanic jack the car up and inspect front and rear suspension. Ball joints, control arms, bushings, etc all looked good, he said. So, no need to replace anything there. When driving on rather rough roads, the suspension seems to be pretty firm.

I'm not 100% sure it's speed related. It seems to be more related to when the car is actually in Overdrive. Even when I'm on a quiet 2-lane back road cruising 40-45mph the vibration will occur only after the trans. shifts into OD, and the tach drops to around 1500rpm. Of course doing ~60-ish the tach is around 2000 - 2200 rpm, and the same issue happens. If I accelerate enough to cause the trans to downshift the vibration issue disappears.

I'm planning on doing some more test drives, on some really quiet back roads with little to no traffic that will allow me to reach speeds of at least 55, and pay closer attention to things. I will post back with anything that catches my attention.

Again, this doesn't seem to happen when the car is cold, only after 10+ miles when everything is warmed up. I'm no mechanic, but this has me a bit baffled.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd grab 6-8 qts. of Mercon 5 atf. Walmart Supertech brand is fine. And yes, Mercon 5 atf can/should be used in the ps. I just remove the ps fluid with a turkey baster and refill. You'll probably want to reuse the tranny pan gasket if it's marked "reusable" instead of the crappy/flimsy one that comes with the filter kit. ^+1 on the LubeGard Green for Mercon 5 atf applications.
Will the wording "reusable" be imprinted on the pan gasket if it's the original OEM gasket? Is it actual rubber?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts