Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
How can I make sure the wires are ran correctly? Is there anyway you can describe that or attach a photo of how to run them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok so I did everything that you said earlier to do and now it will run fine with out going dead but its still running rough. Checked the spark plug wires and fixed them. My husband used a micro mechanic diagnosis tool and these are the problems it says we are having now.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you know for a fact that the wires are right then the next thing is a compression text. Get a compression tester and test the number one cylinder. You should have 100psi or better. If you dont then its a burnt valve. If you have over 100 then it could be a bad wire,plug, or coil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Always remember you have to have 3 things for a cylinder to fire. Fuel, spark, and compression. If your missing one of those things then a cylinder will not fire. I love puzzles like this!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok I'll see about getting a compression tester tomorrow and no the car wasnt running good it was missing, ran really rough and then it started misfiring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok run a compression test on number one and let me know. Make sure you disconnect the coil pack so the car doesnt start while doing the test. When you have it hooked up make sure you turn the engine over atleast 3 times to get a good reading

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
Make sure throttle plate is open while doing a compression test. Also if you give that cylinder a squirt of oil after the first test it will determine if valve is bad or rings. Look at coil for cracks which is a good sign of the coil going bad. Also if you use a spray bottle of water and spray the wires and coil at night with out any lights on you can see any arcing that will cause rough idle. Also if you use the car while it is running rough you risk the chance of destroying the cats..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok we havent had a chance to do the compression test because its been thunderstorming but i did get the tool to check it with. It is supposed to rain again tomorrow but either way im going to do the compression test and I'll let you know how it all goes including squirting the cylinder with oil and I'll check the coil for cracks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok did the compression test this morning and got 120-150psi on the gauge. My coil pack and wires have a warranty on them so im going to exchange them and put the new ones on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Replaced the wires and coil the car is running better but still rough idle and stalling on cold start. It seems to do fine after the engine warms up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It sounds like now, you have a major vacuum leak, maybe a hair line cracked hose/s or even an unplugged hose

You see, when it is cold the crack is allowing the leak, when it warms up the crack will close up a bit due to heat from the engine. Check the hoses all around and with a mirror for those you can't see. You can use ether ( starter fluid ) but please be careful it is very volatile.

Another issue could be the port for the EGR could be clogged up. You can actually snake it out to get rid of carbon deposits. But first check for lose or cracked hoses.

Post current codes after reset.

Just a side note, the key you are using is the original transponder key that came with the car, correct?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok I will check them as soon as I can. And I dont think its the original key to the car it doesnt say Ford on it. Here are the codes that are coming up now.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts