Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking on here and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I have an 06 sel that's been having issues with the lights, at idle all the lights in the car pulsate (for lack of a better word) they rapidly dim and brighten, the idle is also rough. when it first started the alternator also failed so I attributed it to that, I have now installed 3 (from a scrap yard) and I'm still having the issue. If I unplug the alternator and start the car it runs fine and the lights don't pulsate. If I unhook the battery and run off the alternator only the lights pulsate worse. So I guess my question is if I buy a reman alternator will this problem go away or is it something totally different.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Don't know what it is about the Gen 4.5 alternators...they changed something.

Anyways, your best bet would be to have the alternator professionally rebuilt at a reputable shop in your area. Parts store rebuilds seem to be flakey (hence why they offer Lifetime Warranty :) ).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My '07 did that for years, never replaced the alt. What the problem could be is the idle. Does your tach bounce about 50-100 rpms at hot idle? Ford issued a software update for the later years vulcan Taurus to correct this issue. Only the dealer can install the update, but watch out, as they will try to sell you crap you probably don't need. It should cost around $100 for just the update itself.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
FYI, NEVER NEVER run a car with a bunch of microprocessors in it off the alternator only with the batt disconnected!!!!!! Running off just the alt can and will send voltage spikes thru the electrical system that can and will damage the electronics. The alternator doesnt produce straight DC, it produces a 3 phase full wave rectified AC which is not the same as straight DC. The battery "smooths out" the alternators output.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.