Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I am posting n the right place, new user.
Daughter's 06 SEL with 103k just died on her a few days ago. Exiting interstate , started running rough, but she managed to keep it going appox 1 mile back to her apartment. Prior to this car was running smooth as silk and quiet as a mouse only a couple of days earlier. Oil changes with full syn have been done religiously by myself. Car taken to shop and mechanic advised cyl 1,2,3 are dead and she needs a new motor???
They tested and checked for oil in coolant, coolant in oil and found NO transfer either way.
Compression test reflects #1-60lbs, #2 -0, #3-80lbs
Leakdown shows #1 60%, #2 100% #3 55%
Looks like a shot motor to me , but odd that all affected cyl are on the same bank, and mechanic doesn't believe its a blown head gasket.
Has anyone ever experienced something like this? It strikes me as too odd , car had plenty of coolant and oil in it at the time of his inspection. I'm trying to decide which way to go with this one. We have had many Taurus' over the years and they all provided 150k + service with never any such failure.
Any thoughts, experiences, insights would be really appreciated !
Steve

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Sounds like the cam slipped a tooth or two on that bank.
It's a pushrod engine. Likely burned valves. Happens. Maybe a bad head. It can be fixed if it is the head. They should have put oil in the cylinders and rechecked the compression to be sure it is not rings. Highly unlikely but simple test.
-chart-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses... the leak down and compression results lead me to believe she's done..... not what I needed right this minute.

·
Registered
207 Posts
With the relatively low mileage I would opt to look at having the heads rebuilt. I had 230k on my '06 500 when I passed it down to my Grandson. It was using no oil and ran perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts