Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently battling a lean condition on my car, but also wanted to take a stab at it and replace my O2 sensors, considering I'm @ 97k and I think it may be time for replacement anyway. I was searching RockAuto and they have a bunch of options and various manufacturers... Which one(s) do I need to order for my non-FFV Vulcan?

I've used a Bosch in the past and they seem ok.

[attachmentid=28462]
[attachmentid=28463]

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
The beck arnley number 1654300 will replace the one in the very front but I am not sure about the one in front of the firewall. I cant tell whether or not the back one is mounted before or after the catalytic converter.

A side note...... Be sure to check the group buy/vendor section for a 5% discount code if you are buying from Rock auto.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Bosch is also good, but I would check prices at Autozone and Advance auto parts before buying, if they have those there.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bosch is also good, but I would check prices at Autozone and Advance auto parts before buying, if they have those there.
[/b]
I looked up the correct parts numbers off teh Bosch website. Best price was online from RockAuto including the shipping costs

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a few short questions about o2 sensors.

Are there only 2?
Which is the upstream and which is the downstream?
I know the the one in the front is pre catalytic converter, so is the one in the back post converter?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a few short questions about o2 sensors.

Are there only 2?
Which is the upstream and which is the downstream?
I know the the one in the front is pre catalytic converter, so is the one in the back post converter?
[/b]
4 total - 2 pre-cat 2-post cat
- someone correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
84 Posts
you have lean codes for both banks? if so thats not going to fix it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[/b]
I'm doing it as preventative maintenance since I will have the plenum off to replace the EGR, DPFE and check the vacuum lines on the firewall and surrounding areas.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I'm doing it as preventative maintenance since I will have the plenum off to replace the EGR, DPFE and check the vacuum lines on the firewall and surrounding areas.
[/b][/quote]

On the lean condition, be sure to check the PCV valve & it's rubber plumbing, as they are often the cause of vacuum leaks that cause lean codes.

Probably a good idea to replace the O2 sensors with 95K on them.

I just replaced the 94 Taurus 3.8L O2 sensors in Nov, with Bosch from Advance Auto & they seem to be doing ok so far. Harness length & plug type were OEM & plugged right in.
Even came with antisieze compound already on the sensors threads.

Actually took longer to get the parts & tools together & put the car up on ramps, than it did to change the O2 sensors out.

I used Advance Autos "loan-a-tool" split O2 sensor socket set to remove the old sensors & install & torque the new ones in. It's worth the time to stop by & pick it up, as the rear O2 sensor was a little tight on space & the kits off set socket came in handy.

More thoughts for consideration.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Can some one distinguish between upstream and down stream and which is the one behind the intake manifold. Also is that one pre or post cat?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can some one distinguish between upstream and down stream and which is the one behind the intake manifold. Also is that one pre or post cat?
[/b]

Upstream = pre-cat
Downstream = post-cat

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You don't need the post cat ones unless you get cat efficiency codes.

I would get the Motorcraft ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts