Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005Ford Taurus SE Automatic
115k Miles

Was driving around a curve, and noticed I was losing speed, So I give it a little bit of gas, and the RPM goes up, but I continued to lose speed.Eventually I had to pull over.

Turned the car off and started it back up, pushed the gas and still no acceleration, just the RPM going up high.The car is in DRIVE, and shifts gears fine.It does not move in reverse,drive, or overdrive

Although it may be unrelated, for the past 2 months(when the car was working) occasionally, I would have trouble starting it up, it would hesitate to start, but start up immediately on the second try.

I have ZERO knowledge of cars, I was hoping someone would be able to narrow down the problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but have you CORRECTLY checked the tranny fluid level? Any red fluid under the car after you park it?

The starting problem very likely has no connection with the tranny problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may be a dumb question, but have you CORRECTLY checked the tranny fluid level? Any red fluid under the car after you park it?

The starting problem very likely has no connection with the tranny problem.
No red Fluid. BUT it appears to be WAY too full.I had a friend of mine who knows about cars check the fluid today.He checked it and said it has WAY too much fluid and is way past the line

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
If it is actually way overfilled, the fluid can airrate and cause a loss of pressure. These trannies are very sensitive to correct fluid level.

The question is, of course, how it got overfilled in the first place.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
Add on

If it is actually way overfilled, the fluid can airrate and cause a loss of pressure. These trannies are very sensitive to correct fluid level.

The question is, of course, how it got overfilled in the first place.
Good point.

There are some cases where the cooler in the radiator leaks and lets coolant get into the trans. Bad for trans, likely terminal.

-chart-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

If I forgot to add: The Transmission is not Engaging/Shifting..

Talked to a few transmission shops

They ruled out the ECU(They said the car should still move if it was a bad ECU)

I was hoping it may be a bad speed sensor or somthing simple that is causing it.But so far everyone is saying I need the transmission rebuilt or replaced, also that it might be a bad solenid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts