Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This AM, coldest morning of the year here in Columbia, SC. I went to fire up the Bull this AM with minimal success. When I turned the key to ignition, prior to cranking the starter, I could hear the fuel pump making much more noise than usual (strange infact). I thought that due to the cold it could be acting a little differently (who knows). I turn the key further to crank the car and it barely started and died. I thought, no good. Let's try this again (as this car acts up sometimes when it's really cold) It tried to fire and did but then stumbled and stalled. Pedal input did nothign that time. But the results were more than before. I try it a thrid time and it fires, stumbles and almost stalled but I played with the throttle some to keep it from stalling. It was idling at 2500rpm and as it started to reach 1000rpm it was near stalling so I "feathered" it some more, it soared back to 2500rpm smoothly and then leveled off @ 1000rpm like usual. So I think Great, all should be well from here. I opened the driver's door (forgot if I needed to get something or whatnot), and saw the river Nile of gasoline all over the concrete driveway, flowing. I immediately shut it off. I grabbed my camera to take some photos for evaluation later. I fired up my other car and while it was warming up and took a look underneath and saw the the area by the fuel filter (I was looking from the driver-side rear door), was all wet. So I walked over there and saw that the leak appeared to be from the fuel filter conenction were it meets the rubber fuel line. It looks as if the line was blown off from the pressure. I haven't touched it yet, it's too cold but is evident that the hose came off. I have had the fuel filter replaced @ the stealer over a year ago along with the fuel pump. What could have caused this, anyone know?

Is it time to replace the rubber fule line leading from the filter???? I'll post pix later. The car currently is just shy of 97k.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check to see if the plastic clip is broken. I always get new clips when replacing the fuel filter. I don't believe the clip can be opened and closed without losing some integrity.

My 2002 Taurus has small clips and I can only find them at a Ford Dealer for $5.00

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The line just popped off, might have been installed incorrectly, but after a year, who knows. Just pop the clip up, push the line back on, and push the clip back in. Try to pull the fuel line back off after the fix, just to be sure its on tight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I changed my fuel filter a few months ago and it came with new plastic clips for installation. I got it at Federated Auto Parts for about 20 bucks. You might as well put a new filter on if you can find one with clips.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Folks, I have found the culprit. Thanks to everyone's responses, I went out to play around with the connection this AM and found that the white plastic clip cracked and split in 2. Off to the stealer I go. Nice job :ford:

[attachmentid=28359]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Stop at the local AutoZone/Napa/Advanced Auto, they have those clips behind the counter usually or a new fuel filter will have those clips in the box (at least one from Purolator).

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably the best best is to just replace the fuel filter in the process, even though it's only got about 20k?

If I get the Puralator filter it should come with the clip(s)..... Hmmmm......

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
yeah replace yoru filter it must be originla and since it makeing the pump having to force the fule into the line since filter is dirty

it a good investment to replace those on regular basis so you never replace the fuel pump

·
Registered
834 Posts
Probably the best best is to just replace the fuel filter in the process, even though it's only got about 20k?

If I get the Puralator filter it should come with the clip(s)..... Hmmmm......
[/b]
Good luck with that...I'm not sure which line your clip broke on...but when I changed my fuel filter in April...I had a hellll of a time trying to find replacement clips...One of the fuel lines had 2 white clips on it that locked into each other and held the line on the nipple...the other line had just the one standard clip...I check all the autoparts stores...none of them had ever seen the line with the two clips on it before...the dealer didn't sell them...and the parts guy at the dealer called the shop and asked a tech..and the tech said they carefully remove them and reuse them cuz they don't have replacements...maybe thats changed by now.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
well the guy just put 2 clip back to back so in reality it 2 single clip

ive seen this 2 3 time

and with any good filter you alway have plastic clip if not ask the guy why

you normally alway have new clip with any brand off new ford filter?

·
Registered
834 Posts
well the guy just put 2 clip back to back so in reality it 2 single clip

ive seen this 2 3 time

and with any good filter you alway have plastic clip if not ask the guy why

you normally alway have new clip with any brand off new ford filter?
[/b]
I didn't have any such luck...I bought the Motorcraft filter from the dealer...and they didn't come with clips. Thats why the guy behind the parts counter called to ask about the clips that lock into each other...It took me about a month of research to find directions on how to even remove the line with the two clips...I had NEVER seen anything like it before.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
crap i bough new filter and it alway cam ewith clip

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
even when i bough from canadian tire filter or napa >?

just dont get it

·
Registered
834 Posts
even when i bough from canadian tire filter or napa >?

just dont get it
[/b]
Ya..me neither...this was a first for me too...but then again..this was the first car I ever saw to clips that lock into each other on one line a single clip on the other line...mind boggling

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The Motorcraft fuel filters don't come with the clips, I managed to CAREFULLY reused mine the last two times I replaced it. I do have a spare set on hand, just in case. This is the first car I've seen with such a strange clip set up, I think Ford did that to keep people from doing their own maint-probably at stealership requests.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The clips used on the early G4s are much less complicated. Not sure why Ford felt the need to change the design...

·
Registered
712 Posts
The clips used on the early G4s are much less complicated. Not sure why Ford felt the need to change the design...
[/b]
Being in the business I can tell you there are two main reasons Ford may have had to do so:

1. Cost. That is, reducing the cost of the fuel system. Automakers are in a never ending cycle of trying to make things as cost effective as possible.

2. Meeting performance requirements. It is possible that a new specification either within Ford or federally mandated required a change to the design of the hose attachment.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts