Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the easiest way to replace the alternator in my Taurus. Remove it from the top or through the bottom. Thank you

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
I drop the sub frame ~2" and take it out the bottom with the big wire attached. I sue a rope to pull the Alt up to place. Note the log bolt is taped in place as it will fall out. Have to do in order. drop the Alt, drop the sub, new alt in place, jack the sub back up, pull the Alt up to location.
I have done this 4 times, this is the best in my op.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think I've replaced 3 of these on DOHC engines and would definately recommend Chart's method, I've done it without dropping the sub frame and it was not fun and I think I had to remove the crank pulley to have enough room to get it out. If I recall it was also helpful to spin the alt 180 degrees to get it out the bottom. When reinstalling, one of the bolts has an extended stud that is not used (in my application) and it might be helpful to just cut that off so it's easier to get a socket on it.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
One reason I had to do 4 and not 3. I put the wrong year Alt on and it gave me a red light and constant 13.8V no matter. Original V regulators are color coded but interchange with bad results.
Having to re-do this gets your attention.
-chart-

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
If you forget to put the long bolt in before you lift the Alt you will not forget a second time. Any part of a do-over makes for a bad day.
-chart-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts