Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife texted me. Turning right after it warms up she had the evidently common 1-2 shift issue. Battery died this morning before work. Outlasted its warranty, so good there. Has the FFV motor. Reading posts and it looks like this is a drive by wire car. Given I had to disconnect the battery long enough for the check engine light for the number 2 cylinder to go out, I'm thinking the powertrain is still learning and this issue is a one off. No message on the dash or trans light.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Wife texted me. Turning right after it warms up she had the evidently common 1-2 shift issue. Battery died this morning before work. Outlasted its warranty, so good there. Has the FFV motor. Reading posts and it looks like this is a drive by wire car. Given I had to disconnect the battery long enough for the check engine light for the number 2 cylinder to go out, I'm thinking the powertrain is still learning and this issue is a one off. No message on the dash or trans light.

Plenty of posts here where weak battery or charging system cause all kinds of problems. Add bad grounds and cables to this.
I replace my batteries every 3 winters, no matter what. I replaced my Alt with NEW ones at about 125-135K. They were well worn and would just fail some inconvenient day. '03's DOHC. I had 2 regulator fails on my '02 Lin Cont (same Alt as DOHC Bulls) First one cost me $530 and a night in a motel. At 47K miles. Second I did at home but had to cancel a road trip.
Thus no rebuilds as they reuse the regulator.

-chart-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have a battery light on as far as I know. Car definitely has a new-ish AutoZone alternator. May be recharging the new Battery?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found this too:

Poor ignition system performance can cause weird transmission issues, so it's worth solving this P0300 before you worry too much.

Replacing coil pack after work. Will update.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Understood. Never had trouble with AutoZone stuff. Don't mind making them earn the lifetime warranty. 40% of my crown victoria is AutoZone..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update. Replaced coil pack, miss is now on 5 and 6 and a P0300. Assumed that one was the multiple for 5 and 6. Idle varies around 7-800 and is a bit rough. Sags but comes back up.

Transmission worked perfectly normal. Nothing in the information center.

Temp gets to about the halfway point in traffic . Fan cuts on and it backs off a bit.

·
Super Moderator
7,699 Posts
Motorcraft plug wires? Dielectric grease used on both ends of the wires? Wires routed correctly and not laying on the exhaust manifolds? What plugs are in the car? Use ONLY the OEM Motorcraft plugs or the NGK equivalent. Hope the plugs are not Bosch. Bosch plugs dont work in Ford engines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just checked. Not crosswired, but I tried to get them as isolated from each other as possible. They were close enough that induction was a possibility.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Abject lesson in second rate parts. The p0300 resolved into a miss on all six; the wires are no name, and I haven't had time or money to do new plugs/wires. Anybody on the forum local to Knoxville TN?

·
Super Moderator
7,699 Posts
Autozone electrical parts = JUNK. Get a Motorcraft or BWD coil, and Motorcraft plug wires. Also replace plugs with either the correct Motorcraft plugs or their NGK equivalent. Quality parts cost more, but are always worth the extra price.

As Automender said, fix the missfire quick or dont drive the car until you can fix it correctly, or you will kill the cat converters. Replacing the cats is a PITA compared to coil pack/plugs/wires, and costs BIG $$ for quality parts that will last.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lifetime warranty. I don't get the hate for AutoZone stuff. Reliable as gravity, about 40% of my Crown Vic came from there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
5 Participants
Plain Old Dave
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing