Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 05 Taurus SES that I learned afterwards had been sitting up for almost a year without even being started. Shortly after purchasing the car I had to replace the lifters and for awhile the car has run fine. The other day I went on a trip down the interstate and while waiting on the off ramp the low oil pressure indicator came on. There were no strange engine noises such as valves ticking or any knocking sounds and the fluid level was OK. Once I revved the engine a little the light went off and it stays off until I stop and the car idles down again. This only happens after the car has warmed up. What could be the problem? Should I try a higher viscosity oil than the 5-30 recommended by Ford? Absent any engine noises such al valves tapping is there any imminent danger of causing engine damage. Please help

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Look into why the car was parked for over a year.

Why was it necessary to replace the lifters?

Bad oil pump, worn main bearings may be the cause of the low oil pressure

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil Pressure indicator

The car sat up for so long due to a bad transmission. As far as why the lifters went bad, I cannot say, it just happend all of a sudden. I cannot understand why this only happens at low idle and once the car is warmed up as well as why there is no sounds like valve rattle or knock that usually accompany low oil pressure. I think I may repalce the sending unit and drain the 5w-30 and repalce with 3qts of Rotella 15w-40 and a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer and see if this helps.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Does it have a FRAM oil filter on it? I just went through a low oil pressure light issue on my SAAB, and discovered it had a wonderful orange fram filter on it. Replaced it with a Bosch one and problem solved.

·
Registered
91 Posts
no... just replace the sending unit... might just be a low oil reading from the sensor... also if the car sat for a year id especially would do a synthetic oil change.. DONT USE 15W40!!! it will make it run a little rougher with stock internals... change to a 5w 30 synthetic.. should take care of the problem...if not then drop your oil pan and inspect your oil pump for any metal shavings or sludge buildup... if found... replace the pump and... (dont forget to "prime" it if you replace the oil pump..)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts