Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I mention what I experienced from this little problem that turned out to be bigger than I thought. Was going to work and driving in a long time construction zone and hit a large whatever? I heard a big thump and then realized tire was going flat. I just got new tires few months back and thought great I need to replace one now, around $125 each. Not so easy, because the tire is ok (good thing) but the rim got bent. I figured OK no big deal I’ll go and get another one should be easy. Boy was I wrong, I live in the Houston area and have plenty of junk yards and parts suppliers to check with. What I found out was this. Because I have the SEL it comes with 16 inch wheels. Not so common a wheel size for the Taurus. The ones I did find they were proud of $200 plus new. Used ones can be had for $150 if you can locate one from tire and wheel store. Junk yards got wheels for most everything but 16 inch.
This is how it finally settled my problem. I managed to find a used wheel that was 16 inch for a Sable and bought that $40 with a good Goodyear tire on it from a junk yard. There was only one in the whole place by the way. The silly donut spare stinks for long time use. And I found a used wheel that matches mine on E bay for $70. Should get it in a week that’s why I got the used tire and wheel. I plane on running the used tire /wheel until the other rim comes in and then mounting my good tire on that. Then putting the used on in the trunk for my new full sizes spare and tossing the donut.
Conclusion was this. It is not always easy to do the simple things in a short time frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (daveromanjr @ Mar 23 2009, 01:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711460
Odd they are having a problem finding 16" wheels. 2001+ all had 16" wheels.... even most 2000's had 16".[/b]
The biggest issue was finding the same Pattern/style of wheel. From what I saw and found 15 inch was the size most common. Most good 16 inch wheels are picked off early to be sold by used tire and wheels shop for a pretty big price.
I agree, I thought it would have been easier to find one. I’m sure if I would have been more into tracking one down. It could have been found for a fare price, but my time is not worth all that detective work. It was easier and faster to go the eBay route.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
All 2000+ models came with 16's.
You could fit 15's on a 2000 because of the smaller brakes that were upgraded larger on 01 models. :)

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
:worthlesswithoutpics[1]:
always wanted to do that. but seriously.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
thoselook like the windstar rims that ppl are discussing in my modification ideas thred!

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts