Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this would be the right forum for this(since the Montego eventually became the Sable anyway). I recently replaced the scroll valve for my compressor and had the A/C recharged. That fixed my main problem but I am curious about one thing.

The shop I used put in 1lb 13oz. of R-134a when they recharged it. My Montego is the Premiere model and has rear A/C vents(not floor vents, actual vents like the ones up front in the rear). I told the mechanic that there's a sticker by the engine that says I need 2lbs 6oz of R-134a since I have rear A/C and he said that since I just have the rear vents and not actual A/C controls for the rear seat I only need 1lb 13oz. Is that correct? Or is having the rear vents in a Montego the same thing as rear a/c which would mean I'd need the 2lbs 6oz of R-134a? My a/c is pretty cold as it is, but I think it could be just a little colder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did he capture and reuse any of the R -134a and add 1lb 13oz or is that the total? There should be a sticker with the capacity on the hood or one of the shock/strut towers IIRC.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did he capture and reuse any of the R -134a and add 1lb 13oz or is that the total? There should be a sticker with the capacity on the hood or one of the shock/strut towers IIRC.
We had to remove all of the R-134a from the system before I could replace the scroll valve. After recharging, the total amount of R-134a in the sytem is 1lb 13oz.

There is a sticker on the hood but it says something along the lines of "R-134a recharging: Front A/C--1lb 13oz, Front and Rear A/C--2lb 6oz". I told the mechanic about this and he said that even though I have vents for the rear seats I only need 1lb 13oz since I don't have controls in the rear for the rear A/C and that it's not a separate climate control. He said my car probably didn't have that option(Which is odd because it's the top trim level with all options).

I think he was thinking about SUVs and minivans that typically have separate A/C controls for the rear passengers. In my owner's manual it explains all of the different climate control options available, but never mentions anything about a separate climate control for the rear seats.

As it is, I'm getting cold air but the rear seat air and passenger air is a little bit warmer(not much, but kind of noticeable). I read somewhere else where someone with a Freestyle had a similar issue and brought their R-134a up to 2lb 6oz after a shop put 1lb 13oz in it and it solved their problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:lol2:Someone please edit my title on this thread. I know my car is called a "Montego", somehow I left out the "T" and typed "Monego" instead. I don't know how I managed that! :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could find a similar vin decoder to this one - http://www.taurusclub.com/index.php?page=vin-decoder and find out the options/features it came with. If it was 2lb 6oz low I don't believe it would be cold.​
Well, if it has 1lb 13oz now, but needs 2lb 6oz instead then it would only be about 9oz low.

I'm guessing my car does have rear a/c, because I've never seen/heard of an option for the Montego where the rear seat has its own separate A/C controls.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after driving around in 94 degree temps today and hardly getting any cold air from any of the vents I stopped by Autozone and picked up some R-134a(no additives) and added another 9oz of it to my system to give it a total of 2lbs 6oz. I'm now getting ice cold air from all of the vents with an outside temp. of 91 degrees. Everything seems fine at the moment.

All in all, I've saved well over $900 by replacing the scroll valve and having the a/c recharged, versus replacing the compressor like one shop wanted to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry I overlooked where it said front and read. It could very well be 9oz low and still be cold , Perhaps you could check with another shop if your current one doesn't want to recheck it.
EDIT: posted this before reading you latest post. Glad you got it sorted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts