Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Available: Winter 2005

I like it. Next to the 500 it doesn't look all oval and roundish like some of the future cars other manufactures are coming out with. I give it a 9. It may take place of the Taurus.

Attachments

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
What do you mean thats not what the Futura looks like? That was the Futura concept drawing. And what do you mean its the 400? I thought no name was officially released!?! Where is everyone getting this info?! And where is the new picture!?

And MY GOD...the Futura IS NOT replacing the Taurus!

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I saw the Futura at the Chicago Auto Show. It didn't look like that. The name of 400 is just speculation. I spoke incorrectly the first time. It is not going to be named the Futura, however.

EDIT: OH crap, you know what. I just remembered I saw the 500, not the Futura at the show. Nevermind everything I have said. I'm sorry

·
Registered
663 Posts
OK here's the scoop on the Futura:

No one knows what the car will actually look like, the only thing available is that sketch released like 2 years ago. I think it will look like the Lincoln Zephyr in dimensions and shapes (they share the same Mazda6 platform)... but will have a front end similar to the Five-Hundred's.

Ford TRIED to get the Futura name back from Pepboys (Futura tires), but Ford was unsuccessful. The Futura will have a new name. Rumors say the "Ford Four-Hundred," but no official press release, yet.

The Futura is smaller than the Taurus... it about the size of the Mazda6.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Well the mid-size car based on MAZDA6 (unnammed as yet) will replace the Taurus as Ford's Camry and Accord fighter. The Five Hundred will compete with the Impalla, Avalon, and LeSaber. Right now Ford is using the Taurus and Crown Victoria to fill these, but they've finnaly realized that the people shopping Toyota Avalon would probably never buy a Crown Victoria.

I thought for sure Ford would win the case, I mean they've had the name Futura for years, dating back to the '60s I think, at least the 70s and heavily in the 80s. They still use the name on Austrailian cars if I'm not mistaken.

Funny, Chrysler renammed the 300M and Concorde just the "300" with its latest redesign. I wonder what the deal is with all the "-hundred" names? I kinda wish the Five Hundred was RWD like the Chrysler 300 and some of the newer GM products.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by johntaurus@Apr 21 2004, 09:33 PM
Funny, Chrysler renammed the 300M and Concorde just the "300" with its latest redesign. I wonder what the deal is with all the "-hundred" names? I kinda wish the Five Hundred was RWD like the Chrysler 300 and some of the newer GM products.
I really feel the need to correct you here.

The Intrepid is being replaced by the "300C" the 300C includes the HEMI engine, but I've heard the same body style. For 2005.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Firespirit, the Chrysler LX platform sedan's name is "300." The "300C" is the trim with the Hemi. If you look at the rear badging of a v6 300, you will just see "300" with no C.

Here's how you can definitely tell a 300 from a 300C:

The v6 300 has retangular headlight casings. [___] [___]

The Hemi 300C has round headlight casings. O

X

·
0 Posts
Looks like an awesome taurus replacement. I would give my taurus for one of those any day.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looks a lot like a Caddy with a blue oval.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok sorry guys, damn. I just saw it on Edmunds.com the other day. I thought it looked like a cool car. I know they are making the 500. I saw it at the Chicago Auto Show, thought it was a sharp looking car. I know that the pic I posted is not what it looks like. This pic is of the 500 available fall 2004. From Fords website.
Nice Looking car.

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
Ohhhh yes, the 500.. with it's horrible Freestyle-style styling. .. Now, read that last sentence 3 times FAST.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That 500 looks sexy in black. Love that grille. Sorry guys, Taurus has nothing on the 500. It is what the Taurus is, and then some.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The "Futura" (which is what I will call it until Corperate annonces the new name) is going to be riding a slightly modified Mazda6 platform. It will be a few inches larger in every dimension. It is the replacement for the Taurus. Its internal dimensions will be surperior to the Taurus. It will have more power. It will be quieter, and it will equal the Taurus in performance in is basic forms, and will exceed the Taurus in EVERY REGIME IN UPPER TRIMS. They are borrowing some of the European Focus and Mondeo platforms.
It does drawn its styling from the 427 concept.
It will be available with at least 3 engine choices: 2.3I4, 2.3I4 Hybrid, and 3.0 V6. We have also heard rumblings of AWD, a few different gear boxes (CVT, 6spd auto (same as the Five Hundred)). An even softer rumbling came from our Ford rep about 6 weeks ago. The new 3.5l V6 is set for release in the 2006 MY Five Hundreds and Freestyles as an option. The rep said (and this is as close to word for word as I can get): "SVT is looking into creating an 'up-engined' Futura to match the higher performance options available from DaimlerChrysler, GM, and Japanese automakers". The 3.5 is slated for 245-280hp based on application.
Do the math: 280 hp, 6 speed manual, AWD, 2800 pounds. Can you say YEHAW?
EDIT:
And I cant belive noone else has thought of "Fairlane" if "Futura" doesnt go through.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by BF2001SES@Apr 23 2004, 12:04 PM
And I cant belive noone else has thought of "Fairlane" if "Futura" doesnt go through.
They wouldn't use that becuase the Fairlane does exist...down under

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Call it the Ford Fairmont! It would be fitting considering the Taurus replaced a Fairmont (they re-named it the LTD, it was the same car with a face lift).

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Hmmm...Now where have I seen that before...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts