Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 Taurus. Working on body damage so it wasn't getting started regularly. Battery died due to my mistake (interior light left on) last time I worked on it. Sat for maybe a month with dead battery.

So, simple fix, just charge battery, right? Well, it appears my key (yes, only one) won't work anymore.

I was understanding the the PCM could not "forget" the key even with a dead battery. Anyway to verify lost codes compared to something else? I hate going to dealer for anything anyway but have accepted if it "forgot" my key, I have to go, eventually.

It isn't in any condition to go to the dealer at the moment but need to run the engine somehow just to keep things lubed.

have a basic/cheap OBDII scanner. simply reads "cannot connect" so don't know where to go from here.

quite simply put; PATS has got me *issed.

·
Super Moderator
8,765 Posts
Is the scanner CAN compatable? 05 is CAN OBDII interface. IF the scanner is CAN compatable, and you still get no connectuion, look for a blown PCM fuse as a first step.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Jeff.

and... I haven't a clue not only if the scanner is CAN compatible or :blush: what CAN is. I have some learning to do and a bit of research apparently

Can't say I have heard the term before. Any help with that would also be appreciated.

Scanner is an Actron CP9135. If anybody happens to know if it is CAN compatible that info would help.

I appreciate the help.... A LOT.

btw; stopped by the local Ford garage and am a bit relieved that they said they had heard of such a situation. I am hoping it is just this and not some squirrel chewed wires.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Your scanner does not have the CAN protocol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, that just made my day.:censored:

Is there some way to tell if a scanner is CAN compatible or not?

I didn't see anything on actron's site that said anything about it for the one I have. My bro has a friend with a scanner of a higher caliber but obviously, if not properly equipped, it doesn't help. Is there any way to tell other than asking you guys who are obviously more knowledgeable on this than I?

or is this simply one of those things you either know or you don't?

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Most newer scanners are CAN capable.

I would say too that if the PATS has forgot the key there is some thing mechanically wrong such as a wire or bad module.

The CAN network is pretty popular among manufacturers but makes trouble shooting without expensive readers almost impossible. My Genesis Coupe runs the warning LEDs on the dash through this network, along with about everything else.

Controller area network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks.

Hopefully, the scanner in question fits the bill. Now, if I could just get my brother to follow through with his promise to borrow the darn thing.

about some problem other than a lost memory. The car had been working fine until I let the battery die. I'm hoping it is simply a case of auto Alzheimer's and nothing more. The local Ford dealer said about $115 to reprogram the thing but if there is some way to avoid that, I'm surely going to try. I would also rather try to check what I can on my own first.

I appreciate the continued input.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
A dead battery will not make the car lose it's PATS info. There has to be something where the PATS info is saved that has malfunctioned such as a capacitor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, the beast runs. After weeks, neigh, months of chasing my brother for the scanner he promised, it finally showed up. I hook it up and damn, scanner cannot connect.

It's an Actron 9620-A. Can't find if it is CAN compliant or not. (anybody know so I can tell the owner of the scanner) Man, now what?

So, as my brother and I chat and talk about the squirrels that have obviously been under the hood. My brother sees a couple chewed wires. Low and behold they are ground wires (about 18 ga or so) coming from the PCM and broken now.

Well, all my research has told me that Ford uses a switched ground via the PCM and PATS so it's like, no, it couldn't be that easy.

Well, yes it can.:D

That is exactly the type of situation I was trying to ensure wasn't the problem before I drug it down to the Ford dealer. Happy days are here again!!!

Thanks to all that helped where they could. You have a good site here with some friendly and knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks. All fuses are good. Checked them again after speaking with the owner of the scanner suggested the same.

Thanks for the manual. I had already run across that in my searches but I found nothing that stated it was CAN compliant. Since most manufacturers make a big issue about a particular scanner being CAN compliant, I would think if this one was, they would have stated so.

Oh well. I guess it doesn't really make that much diff after all because:

THE BEAST RUNS!!!!!!!:clap:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts