Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes boss has a 04 taurus with a vulcan and its making some horrendous noises so long story short, he needs a new motor. I was wondering what year vulcans will work in it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Any that are '04-up with the Vulcan engine will work. You should have no problem finding one with low miles, as there's plenty of wrecked ones out there.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
i found an 01 wrecked one that still runs and drive for $700 that one won't work?
The intake is different on the '01, so you'll have to transfer everything over from the blown engine. I'm not sure if everything would match up. It'll be easier to pull the entire engine/intake from a '04-up instead, I would go to car-part.com and start searching.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Are you positive the motor is bad? From what I have learned on this forum, the cam syncronizer can make some terrible screeching noises,(and an easy fix) or do you have a rod knock?

Ed

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered the cam syncronizer i hope this fixes it and after a little research that is what it sounds like.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am not an expert as I have a DOHC but I like to read all the posts on the forum. As you already, have do a search. There are some video clips that will show you exactly what it sounds like. I believe the syncro can make a lot of noise before it actually fails and may not affect the engine performance until it does. Others can help you out better than I can. I just thought to rule out everything before deciding the engine is bad. Kind of unusual for a 2004 to go bad unless it was abused.

Ed

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what i thought and it only had 115,000 on it so i couldn't see why the engine would go bad. It is running pretty bad though but i'm gonna change the cam syncro and hope for the best. Although it is squealing really loud so it could have been going out for a while and now it just really really bad.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I changed out the cam syncro today and it helped out but didn't fix it, so i figured i'd put some oil additive in it and change the oil and when i went to pull off the oil filter i noticed it was loose i didn't even have to use any effort what so ever to spin it off. I went ahead and changed the oil and put in some lucas and it is better now but still making some valvetrain noises. I figure the valvetrain is probably screwed but it's driveable the way it is. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I changed out the cam syncro today and it helped out but didn't fix it, so i figured i'd put some oil additive in it and change the oil and when i went to pull off the oil filter i noticed it was loose i didn't even have to use any effort what so ever to spin it off. I went ahead and changed the oil and put in some lucas and it is better now but still making some valvetrain noises. I figure the valvetrain is probably screwed but it's driveable the way it is. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
My daughter has an 04 and I changed the oil in it today. When I took off the filter on her car, it too came off with no effort. Is there an issue on the Vulcan engines where the oil filters loosen on their own. We just bought the car 2 months ago and this is the first oil change I've done on it, because the oil was clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts