Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
04 taurus whirring sound like helicopter; sound varies with suspension travel

My car always sounds so loud when I'm driving, it makes a whirring sound like a helicopter.

The sound gets louder the faster I go, and it is accompanied by a slight vibration.

Going over bumps/dips in the road the sound lessens or almost goes away entirely as the suspension approaches full travel (wheels farthest from vehicle) and comes back at normal right height and worsens when the suspension is under compression over bumps.

Any suggestions? The car was not like this when I got it. The noise has increased gradually since I got the car a couple years ago so I hardly notice it until I drive someone else's car or someone is in my car and they comment on the 'helicopter sound'

Thanks.
-Joe

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Sounds like you ned to adjust the pitch, collective and cyclic controls so they are in better harmony.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you ned to adjust the pitch, collective and cyclic controls so they are in better harmony.
If my chopper ever starts riding like a taurus I'll check them out!

Sounds like bad wheel bearings.
I was always under the impression that the sound would go away or move when turning if the wheel bearings are going. does driving from side to side not indicate bad wheel bearings the way it used to with older cars?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like I'll have to go ahead and replace the front wheel bearings.

I have front disc no ABS. is this the right timken part #? 513100

Thanks.
-Joe

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
It could be the tires. My 04 LX had really loud road noise until I replaced the OEM tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i already replaced the originals. the new wheels ride quieter, but the car made the whirring before and after the new wheels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had both my front bearings changed.

There was a whirring noise upfront that started around 30mph and got worse with speed. The noise just started a week ago.

I also noticed that once I got up to speed, if I took the foot off the gas, the car would slow down much quicker than before (like the brakes were dragging).

For me the noise didn't change with dips in the road or swerving side to side.

Noise went away with the new bearings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts