Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story I had to replace a lot on this car, trans gasket was one of them. Roughly calculated a 2 quart loss (no full service, just gasket) and am wondering about what it did today. Went to drive it and had to turn around due to alternator clip refusing to actually go on and as I pulled up I noticed a pool of fluid and the trail marks where I backed it up. I got underneath it and ran it to operating temperature but no leak. It looks like it came out of the filler neck and dripped down as well as get on some of the wire loom. My question is, assuming that's where it came from, what would cause that? I haven't really heard about that happening or seen it before so I'm curious how overfilled it would have to be to do that? Or is there another culprit?

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
" ineffective" Nope. Very effective in spilling fluid. Not one of Ford's better ideas. My Sable wagon bought used had no cap. The nipple was very dirty. I got a cap from the JY and cleaned it up, cleaned the nipple and put it on right. No issues. Best remove the intake plenum for putting it on. Then check the filter while in there.
Have a nice Independence Day.
-chart-

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Ineffective as a vent, effective as a fluid mess. If they wanted it to work all the time, they would have used what they did on my Lincoln Cont. Hard plastic non removable. That works.
The vent is an "inverted bucket design". It is the plan that it will shed water from the top, and keep temporary flooding of water out.
On rear wheel drives and likely 4 wheel the gear case uses a one way valve/bucket. It lets air our but not back in resulting in no pressure to some vacuum in the gear case. That keeps the seals from leaking. I had '80 Zephyr that kept leaking seals. My brother who was a life long diesel mechanic told me the thing they had to do on routine maintenance was to wiggle the vent cap as they can stick shut. I checked mine and it was stuck. Easy fix. I had replaced the axle seals but they leaked. Vent fixed leaks.
The Bull vent is in a awkward place so removal of the inlet plenum makes it easy to check.
So Ford had a bulletin on this. But simple fix for me, just clean and put it back the correct way.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies guys, the venting part makes sense however I am a little bit unsure about the nipple and stuff you all are talking about. By little bit I mean I have no idea what you all are talking about, is there anyway you guys could educate me on what that is. Not being a smart ass or sarcastic, I really have no clue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pull the vent cap off, then push it on flush, then pull it back up 1 click/notch.
I feel dumb asking but where is the vent cap located on that car, I do all my work in my parking lot so it's hard for me to get a super clear view.

·
Registered
22,916 Posts
Dunno on your '04, but on my gen3 tecs ('98/'99) it was right under the corrugated air hose/tube/snorkel. Didn't have to remove anything to access it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dunno on your '04, but on my gen3 tecs ('98/'99) it was right under the corrugated air hose/tube/snorkel. Didn't have to remove anything to access it.
Ill check that out here shortly, I just have a hard time believing it's anything major because the fluid came out but quit. It just dawned on me which corrugated line you're talking about, it's on the backside of the transmission near the fill neck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the late reply, I've been going through a med change for my back and stuff so it's been a rough few days. No **** dude, no wonder I've been overlooking that. I just went outside a little while ago to try and adjust the cam timing a bit close and noticed it leaked a fair amount. It has to be that, thank you so much for the pic and all your help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I just went and checked, vent is fine. The fluid looks like it's coming from the filler neck or underneath it. Assuming the fill neck is fine what else is there? I replaced the transmission seal and was so OCD that people would've laughed at how long I took and how particular I was. The gasket I bought was a bonded gasket because it's the newer style transmission and torqued it absolutely perfectly and made sure the pan was flat. It's like the stupid idiot doesn't want to leak when I'm looking at it, only when I'm doing something else. Has the car just become sentient and decided it doesn't like me? Stupid question but that's how it feels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Invisimine, I was told that I needed a new trans pan gasket a couple of years ago because my 03 was leaking...I searched this forum and found a link to a video from Fordtechmakuloco about these vent caps. I did what he did and haven't dripped a drop since. When the vent cap is gunked up, the pressure causes the fluid to come out where the dipstick is because it doesn't fit tight or screw on, easiest way out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts