Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several weeks ago I posted on this forum asking for some advice on a poorly running engine on my 04 Taurus. Prior to that time and subsequently I took the car to three mechanics who diagnosed the problem and repaired the car to correct the problem per their dianosis. None of these repairs solved the problem but fortunately the last mechanic I took the car to went beyond reading the meter and checked the compression and found the first bank of cylinders had no compression. After removing the valve cover he discovered that all three exhaust lifters had disentegreted or fallen apart. What could have caused this and how concerned should I be about any small parts that may not have been recovered. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I do rememeber reading an article at some point saything there was a rash of bad lifters a while back. Your car could have gotten some of them. The only other possibility I can think of is that someone ran the car low of oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bad llifters

The car had been sitting up for almost 9 months. Although it ran for awhile before this happened could this be related to the problem

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Did you change the oil before driving it after it sat for that long? If not, there's your answer -- modern motor oil is designed to break down over time for whatever reason. It is garbage after a certain length of time nowadays.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bad lifters

No I did not change the oil and in retrospect I should have know to do so. I have removed the intake and several other of the lifters show signs of stress so I am replacing all of them. The mechanic says he feels he has located all of the pieces of the lifters when he removed the intake

1 - 5 of 5 Posts