Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Taurus that has me a little confused. It sputters at idle, under accelleration and around 40-60. I changed the plugs, replaced the plug wires, cleaned out the Air Idle Control, tomorrow i am replacing the fuel filter and PCV Valve. If that doesnt work i am looking at replacing the fuel injectors. any body have any ideas, dont really feel like dumping over 300 into this b**** right now

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What engine? vulcan or duratec? Is it throwing a trouble code (check eng.) light?
not sure, i am not a ford guy. its a 3.0 DOHC. It is throwing a code for a misfire thats why i replaced the plugs and wires. I have done a lot of research on this issue and lot of people are saying that it was the idle air control, so i cleaned that. still having the same issues. I am replacing the fuel filter and PCV Valve tomorrow, before i spend the money on Fuel injectors. I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue so maybe i can save a little money by not buying injectors.

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
If it is a po300 series code i would check out the coil(s) before moving to injectors. If it is a lean code (po171 or po174) i would check out the pcv hose assy. buried deep in front of the intake manifold unless that is the year its made more accessible back by the driver-side firewall.

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Since it seems you have a vulcan (ohv) instead of a duratec (dohc) i would check the o-ring seal for a vac. leak on the intake manifold air valve assembly (black plastic thingy between the manifold and firewall on pass. side of eng. Spray around it with carb. clnr. etc. on a cool idling eng. listening for idle changes. This is esp. true if misfire code(s) is accompanied with lean code(s).

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I had a misfire on my 3.0 DOHC (2000 model year) after it sat over the winter with the hood not properly closed (thanks to a deer). In my case it was condensation that had made its way into one of the ignition coils. If your car has been out of commission for a while, that might be what I would suspect as the 2004 DOHC's also used coil-on-plug.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'm lost, you say it's DOHC, but you replaced plug wires?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts