Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Ford Taurus SEL. As we were driving around a week ago, we noticed that a clicking sound was coming from the engine periodically. Then, we noticed that the AC went out, and within a minute after that, a big cloud of white smoke was steaming out of the front under the hood, accompanied by a hissing sound, and we could smell burning rubber. The temperature gauge was right in the middle, so it didn't look like it was overheating. We stopped the car and the smoking quit, but there was still the burning rubber smell. We looked under the hood and the coolant was level was fine. Took it to the shop the next day, and they said nothing was wrong. Well something definitely is wrong, because it started doing the EXACT same thing today, only this time the car completely died on the side of the highway.

FYI, we've also noticed that when the engine was started last week (after the initial incident), a loud hissing sound was coming from what seemed to be like directly behind the dashboard.

Could anyone tell me what might be the problem?? It's at the car shop now, but I have a sick feeling that they might give me the same crap that there is nothing wrong :angry: Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Isn't white smoke coolant hitting the exhaust? Wonder if you have some kind of AC clutch/coil issue. Any smell to it?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Isn't white smoke coolant hitting the exhaust? Wonder if you have some kind of AC clutch/coil issue. Any smell to it?
I agree, sounds like the a/c compressor locked up, or the clutch is going bad. If the compressor locks up, it will stop the engine, snap the belt, or both. The same thing happened to one of my grandmother's old cars (a '85 crown vic), the defroster starting blowing white smoke, and white smoke was comming from under the hood as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it smells like burning rubber. I thought a belt had melted but neither we nor the repair shop could find any problems with the belts. FYI, the tow truck driver was able to start the engine and drive in onto the tow ramp about half an hour after the engine initially quit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts