Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 Duratech dies hard on acceleration. Also been noticing hard down shifts, speedo gets screwed up after hard accelleration. As long as you don't ever step on it everything is fine. hard down shifts have been for a year or more. Then speedo reading high after hard acceleration started. Now when I got in the freeway today and foored it it completely died. I rolled to the shoulder and it started right back up. What gives? Tranny, cats, what? Car has 95K on it. Help!

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
Sounds like oss (output shaft speed) sensor failure. Was called vss (vehicle speed sensor) prior to 2000 model year. Bolts atop tranny with 2-wire elec. conn. possibly under a heat shield.

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
Dunno for sure on an 04 tec. Ive changed 5-6 on 98-99 tecs. Those i accessed from the top pass. side between the evr (egr solenoid) and firewall way down on top of the tranny under an open-ended box-like foil heat shield. All work performed blindly and by feel. I pulled heat shield up to expose vss, disconnected elec. conn., removed 10mm retaining bolt and pulled vss from tranny. Install is the reverse of removal. Mine were about $20 at the parts store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts