Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its a 3.0 duratec with 101,000 miles ....the past 6 months or so it has been hesitant to start, sometimes taking 6-10 tries before it starts, you can hear it trying to start but it just doesnt...i dont have to do anything tricky to get it to finally start it just does....is there any one piece i should know that gives problems in this generation or engine to escape the mechanic "runaround"

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
fuel pump

its a 3.0 duratec with 101,000 miles ....the past 6 months or so it has been hesitant to start, sometimes taking 6-10 tries before it starts, you can hear it trying to start but it just doesnt...i dont have to do anything tricky to get it to finally start it just does....is there any one piece i should know that gives problems in this generation or engine to escape the mechanic "runaround"
Turn key to on but do not start. Listen for the pump to run about 1 full second and then quit. Turn key off and then repeat a couple of times.

If it starts better, then it is the fuel pump. Sometimes fuel pumps do not want to get started when they are failing. Cycling them a few times tells the tale.

-chart-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i reset my electronic fuel cut off switch and it started right up.......then i tried to start it this morning and NADA....>_<

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I have 4 Taurus in my family and haven't experienced the fuel switch problem. Exactly how does it get activated? I mean by accident. Grocery bag bumping into it when car goes over pot hole? I want to tell my children what may happen beforehand.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Inertia

I have 4 Taurus in my family and haven't experienced the fuel switch problem. Exactly how does it get activated? I mean by accident. Grocery bag bumping into it when car goes over pot hole? I want to tell my children what may happen beforehand.
Switch is tripped by impact on the car frame.
OR
Car is turned upside down.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Like sheila said is the most common but the right bump at the right spot in a parking lot can trip them. Sort of a perfect storm scenerio, it happens.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i went out yesterday morning to check the battery and it started right up......no problems at all i started it like 6 times....then i backed out of the carport and there was a huge pool of oil!!! ive never had a leak before how the hell can it just happen all of a sudden

1 - 11 of 11 Posts