MERCURY / SABLE 2002-2003

Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY Mfr's Report Date: MAR 03, 2003
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 03V087000
N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD
Potential Number of Units Affected: 67894

Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 212, ¿WINDSHIELD MOUNTING.¿ THE WINDSHIELDS MAY POTENTIALLY EXHIBIT INCREASED WIND NOISE, WATER LEAKAGE, AND SQUEAKS AND RATTLES.

Consequence:
POTENTIAL LOSS OF WINDSHIELD RETENTION MAY ALSO REDUCE OCCUPANT PROTECTION IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THESE WINDSHIELDS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON MARCH 31, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FORD/MERCURY AT 1-800-392-3673.

Notes:
FORD RECALL NO. 03C03. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236). "

So I drive a 2003 Sable and any time it rains all day, water will begin to leak onto the passenger floor board. I searched the website about a year back? Found one thread saying to silicon around the firewall in the engine compartment after pulling the insulation from the passenger side out of the cowl? I did all that but the problem persisted. I checked the rain hood thing about the cabin air filter to make sure it was seated right and nothing loose. That was all in good shape. Then I noticed that the water wasn't coming in from the firewall, it was running down inside my dashboard(?) and dripped out, out from a hole. I noticed the drip one rainy day and noticed that if I turned on my heater, it would shoot the water out in a burst.

In conclusion, does this recall mean I can go up to any car dealer and say "I saw this recall..." and tell them that I believe the windshield might not be set properly and the water is leaking in my dashboard and out my heater/air housing onto the passenger floor boards??

Also if they do, does Ford allow you to have a loaner car? How long do you guys think this might take? And can I go to any dealer or does it have to be a Ford dealer? Also is this official?????

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I know at least one GenIV owner who almost had his windshield come off at highway speeds.

Ford installed a replacement under warranty, but I would imagine that this recall would cover a similar failure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts