Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Been lurking here a few days since my GF bought an '03 SEL wagon, looks like a good forum! Been trying to take care of a few little nagging bits, one of which is an inoperative rear wiper motor.

I've been probing around with a meter today and found a couple of broken wires in the flex joints between the hatch and body. Made repairs, still no wiper. The washer motor DOES work. I probed the connector at the motor and got voltage on the O/W wire at the appropriate time, so I assume that the motor is kaput.

I got to looking around at the wiper motor assembly and couldn't see how to rear wiper arm detaches from the motor. Any clues on this?

We're loving this car. It's the first Taurus for either of us (I'm a Thunderbird guy) and it's loaded. Next step is to track down an A/C and get ready for summer.

Take care, and thanks in advance,

Josh

·
Registered
14 Posts
if it comes off the same as my wifes 98 then you just have to lift the wiper arm up and at the same time pull on a metal tab on the base of the wiper arm where it mounts onto the shaft, i think the tab will be on the top underside area,you might find it easier to use a small flat head screwdriver to move the release tab. i also had to do the infamous wagon wire repair job as the wires for the wiper,speakers,reverse lamps and licence plate lamps had all broken over many years of the liftgate being open and closed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll try tackling that this week when I find a replacement.

Josh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, finally getting around to this. Figured out how the wiper arm is released from the shaft (moving the clip) and tried to remove it, but the arm is rust-welded to the shaft. Any tips on pulling it off? Going to start giving it some PB Blaster treatment, but is there some secret to removing the arm?

I put a 3/4" open end wrench under the arm and pried up a little bit, but I am super-afraid that that I'm going to break the rear glass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts