Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Taurus SE with the 3.0 Vulcan. I started having issues with the car about 3 weeks ago. I noticed that the car was idleing at higher RPM's than it used to (running @ 1500 RPM instead of at 1000 RPM) and when I would try to slow down or coming out of a stop it felt like someone had there foot on the gas while I was trying to brake (ex: I was stoped at a stop sign and when I would be letting off the brake the car would serge forward like I had my foot on the gas at the same time). The car ran like that for about 2 weeks untill I come out one evening and the car wouldn't start. It turned over but it just wouldn't start. I came back an hour later and it started right up but with the check engine light on. So the next day I took it up to Auto Zone to get the code read. The guy from Auto Zone told me it was code P1233. He printed me out what the code ment which said "Fuel System Disabled.. Possable causes tripped inertia switch, Bad ground, Short in power wire. No Sooner as I pull out of my parking space the car dies and would not start back up. I managed to get a tow truck to come and pick it up. The tow truck driver was able to start it and it idled for about 2 minutes before the engine shuttered and died. he tried to restart it without any luck. He had me get in the car and prime the engine to see if he could hear the fuel pump. He told me he couldn't hear the fuel pump and beat on the gas tank a little bit with no luck. The next day I come out and the car starts right up and idles real rough for about 5 minutes then shutteres and dies. So I did some searching on the internet and I found another deffinition for the code that I got. It was "Fuel Pump Driver Module Off-line". So I thought I would go out and check the relay and fuses and find out where the fuel pump driver module is. This time the car starts up and idles really rough but, it doesn't die after 5 minutes like before and when I prime the engine I hear the fuel pump grind a little bit, and when I go to turn the car off the engine shutters REAL bad (it shakes the whole car) but, it will start right back up. Turnes out the relays and fuses were good. A friend of mine brought out his code reader and read the code's again. It still gave the P1233 but under the code it gave a deffinition of "manufacturer control fuel air metering" So now i'm lost I just can't figure out what is wrong with my car. Is it the fuel pump, fuel pump control module, a bad throttle body sensor I just don't know. Could one of you guys help me brain storm or maybe this has happened to you?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
have the battery and alt test under load. low voltage can cause lots of problems with the bull. how has the mpg been?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mpg

they went down hill when it started idling funny I'm going to get the battery tested in the AM. the alternator is good just replaced it about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
normally the mpg gets better as a fuel pump starts to die. if this is the only code you are getting then its time to narrow it down. the next time the car doesnt want to start you should test the inertia switch with an ohms meter. if you get power on both sides then chances are the fuel pump is failing. if you arent getting power then i would lean to a pcm issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery was bad. So I got a new one. car seems to be running good now I drove it around for almost an hour and still no problems. I still got the high Idle with the surging when I come off the brake though. It might be the throttle position sensor I'm going to check that out on my next day off. What do you guys think it might be?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts