Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

just had a pan drop /filter change plus a flush and I was wondering what level should the transmission fluid be at....

currently its at the mid-low range in the cross hatch area when running warm and in park...

the tranny shop said its fine and to leave it....

would it be bad to add .2 of a quart to make it move a bit higher on the stick ? i dont want to over fill it just put it up in the 70 percent area of the dip stick...

and when its off and everything has drained to the pan its way past the cross hatch area...

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Hello

just had a pan drop /filter change plus a flush and I was wondering what level should the transmission fluid be at....

currently its at the mid-low range in the cross hatch area when running warm and in park...

the tranny shop said its fine and to leave it....

would it be bad to add .2 of a quart to make it move a bit higher on the stick ? i dont want to over fill it just put it up in the 70 percent area of the dip stick...

and when its off and everything has drained to the pan its way past the cross hatch area...
This is like the fuel gage. "Approximate" is best way to think.

Example: my 02 Lin Cont takes 6.0Q of engine oil. That makes it a bit over the full or above the crosshatch. My latest 02 Lin Cont that is upper mid way of the crosshatch. There are variations in the volumes of car containers/pans and stuff inside them, as well as the dipstick and it's tube.

Anywhere in the crosshatch is fine. Really important is, do not over fill. That is BAD.

And for tranny, only the level while idling is important, NOT where it when not running.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If you look at the dipstick for the trans oil it says "DO NOT ADD IF LEVEL IS IN CROSS-HATCH" Your ok. I just did the same thing 3 weeks ago and that's where my fluid is after adding 7 Quarts back in to the trans. What you don't want is an overfull condition, that would cause issues.

Edit *Adding to charts reccomendations* - Drive the car for about 10-15 miles and then check the trans oil level on a level surface in Park so that the oil is at full operational temp.

Troy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts