Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owners manual doesn't make it clear which fuse to replace for power windows. Press down driver's side window and hear clicking from fuse box area. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Taurus windows

Do your other windows roll down and up? Fuse is not blown or you would not hear the relays click. My wifes 03 has the same problem. replaced the relays, switches, motor. It was the GEM (Generic Electric Module).

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Owners Manual. Starts @ Page 130.

** EDIT - WTF there is no fuse listing for the power windows 0_o , I do believe that they go through the GEM Module though.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Do your other windows roll down and up? Fuse is not blown or you would not hear the relays click. My wifes 03 has the same problem. replaced the relays, switches, motor. It was the GEM (Generic Electric Module).
Was it just one or all of the windows that didn't go down? I have only one rear window that stopped working. I pulled the rear door panel off and checked the connection on the switch and it's tight...have not replaced anything yet.

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
^^^^ Pull connector off motor and attach a test light to the harness side of the motor connector. Operate window switch. If light lights up in both up and down, the motor has power. Replace motor.

Reactions: monkeydad

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
^^^^ Pull connector off motor and attach a test light to the harness side of the motor connector. Operate window switch. If light lights up in both up and down, the motor has power. Replace motor.
Thanks for the tips (everyone).

I pulled the panel off the rear driver's-side door last night to address the window that stopped working right after we bought the car. Isn't that how it always works? :lol2:

I disconnected the harness and sprayed some electronics cleaner in both ends. Reconnected. Nothing. I could hear the motor trying to work though.

Then I wiggled the window glass carefully to loosen it up and move it down a little. Still nothing.

Next, I tried the slamming the door while holding the down button method. No luck.

Last, I gave the motor a few whacks...success. Window goes up and down as it should. Hopefully it lasts.

Motor was just "stuck". Glad it was a free fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Owners manual doesn't make it clear which fuse to replace for power windows. Press down driver's side window and hear clicking from fuse box area. Any suggestions?
I had the same problem with my 2003 Fors Taurus. I want to thank this forum for helping me solve my problem and saving me a whole lot of money!
My windows were not working due to a frayed black and blue wire in the door jam inside the wire harness. I was about to just give up and take my car into a mechanic to solve the problem. I was tired of driving to work and freezing my butt off!
I would check this if you are having the same problem that I was with ALL the windows not going up or down. I did check ALL the fuses and that was not the problem. This was a quick and easy fix. If I can fix it than I am sure that you can too!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome info

Spend days trying to figure this problem out. Left it go unfixed all summer. Came across this site and this post today and it is finally fixed. THANKS SO MUCH!!

I had the same problem with my 2003 Fors Taurus. I want to thank this forum for helping me solve my problem and saving me a whole lot of money!
My windows were not working due to a frayed black and blue wire in the door jam inside the wire harness. I was about to just give up and take my car into a mechanic to solve the problem. I was tired of driving to work and freezing my butt off!
I would check this if you are having the same problem that I was with ALL the windows not going up or down. I did check ALL the fuses and that was not the problem. This was a quick and easy fix. If I can fix it than I am sure that you can too!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts