Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 SES w/Vulcan has got me stumped. I have changed more sensors than I ever imagined on a car and its still doing the same thing. When I am driving i can push the pedal to the floor but my speed will not go up unless i let off of the gas and allow the RPM's to drop. It switches gears fine (as I was told before that it was the transmission) but the motor is also really loud as I drive.

If I'm going up a hill its even worse as I can only do around 35 to 40 mph but on a flat road or on going down hill I can eventually get as high as 75 mph but not more than that. I have heard about the cam syn maybe causing this but my motor has never had a squeak coming from it like people say that they do when those go bad. I did order the part and I changed the sensor but not the synchronizer.

Could it be the synchronizer or maybe even a vacuum leak? Should I change the synchronizer? Another person told me its like its not getting any fuel. Also, its not throwing any codes. I have changed the following: PCV, Cam Sensor, MAF, Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, Wires, Ignition Pack, Air Filter, Sensors on throttle body. I dont know whats going on.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
How do you know the cats arent plugged?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had them checked (my father in law runs a muffler shop/car repair shop in town. it has him and his mechanics baffled as well) Also, the exhaust is constant (usually would sputter if cat was bad) and there is also no smell coming from exhaust. My grandmothers 04 Taurus cat whent bad last year and it didnt act the way mine is acting and hers had a bad smell coming from the exhaust. I pulled out my synchronizer today and it squeaks badly when turned but i never heard it squeaking when it was in the motor and it was running. I am currently replacing it now, will let you know if it still is acting up

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it's revving fine and you're just not going, it has to be the transmission. Are you sure that it's actually revving freely? How high will it rev before you get motion?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had another guy check it out and he seems to think that its not getting enough fuel. Hes checking the car out now and is replacing the fuel pump. He checked the fuel pressure and says its too low

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it's revving fine and you're just not going, it has to be the transmission. Are you sure that it's actually revving freely? How high will it rev before you get motion?

I have motion from the get go. Its once im on the road its like its starved for fuel. It hums really loud and the rpms go up but the speed slowly creeps up. it changes gears fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
How low was the fuel pressure?

·
Registered
282 Posts
the rpms go up but the speed slowly creeps up
you are saying that the rpms increase and the car does not move or accelerate normally
like a delayed acceleration

unless you are mistaken, your transmission is slipping in a higher gear selection and most likely needs to be repaired/replaced

have you checked the trans range sensor?

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
I'm having this problem as well. Up to about 2500-3K it has power but it just doesnt seem to have power after that. merging on the highway is dicey unless you keep the revs below that 2500-3K range. Trans shifts fine and is not slipping, just doesnt seem to want to move properly past 2500-3K.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm having this problem as well. Up to about 2500-3K it has power but it just doesnt seem to have power after that. merging on the highway is dicey unless you keep the revs below that 2500-3K range. Trans shifts fine and is not slipping, just doesnt seem to want to move properly past 2500-3K.

Update guys. Apparently it was the catalytic converters. One on the right (Y PIPE) is clogged. Weird that it didnt throw any codes though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts