Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 Taurus 3.0L, basic 6 cyl. Car won't start. First, replaced the starter. The car won't even try to turn over. The only sound is some "clicking" in the little box next to the battery with three black "boxes" (fuses?) inside. (The first time it happened, there might have been some clicking in the fuse box at the front of the engine compartment, too.) Sometimes I have accessories when this happens, sometimes I don't. For example, the key fob will not operate the door or trunk locks.... and the headlights get really dim if they come on at all. While trying to crank it over, the negative battery post gets hot to the touch... Had the battery tested today; it's good and only 6 months old.

Twice had someone 'arc' the starter with a screwdriver to get it going and me home! In between, it started and ran fine for two days.

I am NOT a mechanic; but can do some minor things on the car. So, please, if anyone can help, be sure to use layman's terms when you can!

Thanks to all. Mike.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but have you checked both batt terminals to be sure they are clean and tight? Also check major grounds (batt to engine, engine to frame) to be sure they are clean and tight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Terminals are tight at the post; no corrosion, I will have to check the other ends to be sure about them....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would go a step further and also check the cables themselves, for example strip back some insulation on each at the battery clamp and look for corrosion or broken wire strands. High resistance = heat.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
No, the battery terminal doesn't get hot at normal start. Though you cannot see it, there is oxidation in the metal to metal contact. Wire brush the terminal and the terminal clamp and put silicone type grease lightly (or buy the terminal pad, red and green). Do per above post.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good comment by Paker,

The fact that the post gets hot is a good indication of a resistance. Current going through a resistor develops heat. Furthermore, since it is in series it cause a voltage drop and the symptoms resemble that of a low battery, illustrated by the ticking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys were all basically spot on..... I changed both battery cables, and she started on the first turn of the key! Knock on wood, that will take care of it.... Thanks to all who responded!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Did you wire brush/clean the "other" ends good where they bolt up? (not the battery ends)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts