Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons car quit today he said he got up to speed and took his foot off the gas and when he went to accelerate again it was like it was in neutral he coasted to school and also no reverse and the key is also stuck in the ignition I haven't looked at the car yet but am curious about the neutral safety switch going bad causing this since the key is stuck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does the key turn between ACC and ON but not back to withdraw from the tumbler? It seems like that could be a separate issue from the transmission engagement problems.

Someone else could correct me where I'm wrong, but I believe the 03 taurus has mechanical linkage to the shifter, so a bad lockout solenoid shouldn't impact whether or not the tranny engages in any particular gear.

I would check the neutral safety switch located on top of the transmission just to be sure. Check that it is not loose for whatever reason and that the linkage is solid without excess play.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Start car and check transmission fluid level. If it is high on the stick then most likely your pump shaft splines have worn to a point they don't engage the torque converter anymore. This is a common issue with the Taurus transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts