Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if this could be done. I just replaced the motor in my 93 with one from a 03 that came complete with ECU, however I did notice that the 03 uses a return-less fuel system. I know I could just use my Stock fuel system, but how would the 03 computer take to that, and is it something I could tune around? this is for DD that I plan on upgrading a little (would like to run the newer intake manifold, but can't due to the Distributor) and maybe the newer exhaust manifolds.

But if it is going to be a HUGE pain, then I would rather not do it, just would like to have a OBD 2 setup.

Also, this is for a 93 topaz 5 speed, so tranny issues are next to none.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just put the return-type rails on the 04 engine swap I did. The tune has nothing to do with the returnless fuel system. You would need the wiring connector for the newer PCM, which would throw all kinds of check engine lights since it would want to see things hook up, like the canister vent valve, purge valve, FTP sensor. I dont think it's worth it.

This sounds cool though. What motor are you putting in the topaz?

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
Too big a PITA, IMO. OBDII monitors lots of things OBDI doesnt, such as EVAP, EGR flow, cat efficiency, etc. To get the STOCK OBDII PCM to not throw a ton of codes for missing sensors / inputs, you would have to install all these sensors, activators, etc. I THINK you can turn off many or all of these monitoring functions like EVAP, cat efficiency, EGR flow, etc with an SCT tuner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up putting in a flex fuel vulcan from a 03 into the car (didn't care about it being a flex fuel, just got the whole package with under 50k miles on it for less then $300.)

and I do realize that I would have to hook everything dealing with emissions up (not the big of a concern to me), I was just more concerned with trying to figure out the fuel system problem. if it isn't computer controlled I would be happy.

Jeff, the only setup the EEC-IV doesn't have that you mentioned was the cat efficiency, While the system is outdated, it does still monitor both EVAP and EGR flow,the only 3 things I did not have to mess with was 2 o2 sensors (since the eec-iv doesn't monitor cats) and I believe a knock sensor (sensor on the back of the block.)

I am not afraid of wiring or adding in the sensors needed, I was just more concerned with the return less fuel system, or the non existent auto tranny, and actually being able to tune around them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think I would find an old 3.0 Tempo PCM for a manual trans, and the wiring harnesses (OR NOT) just to make things easier. At least you would be starting with a PCM made to run a similar engine. Too bad about that distributor though.
You can tune around anything. For example, when you install a manual trans in an automatic Thunderbird, the tuner can turn off all of the AT functions so no lights get thrown. Man this sounds like fun!

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
I ended up putting in a flex fuel vulcan from a 03 into the car (didn't care about it being a flex fuel, just got the whole package with under 50k miles on it for less then $300.)

and I do realize that I would have to hook everything dealing with emissions up (not the big of a concern to me), I was just more concerned with trying to figure out the fuel system problem. if it isn't computer controlled I would be happy.

Jeff, the only setup the EEC-IV doesn't have that you mentioned was the cat efficiency, While the system is outdated, it does still monitor both EVAP and EGR flow,the only 3 things I did not have to mess with was 2 o2 sensors (since the eec-iv doesn't monitor cats) and I believe a knock sensor (sensor on the back of the block.)

I am not afraid of wiring or adding in the sensors needed, I was just more concerned with the return less fuel system, or the non existent auto tranny, and actually being able to tune around them.
Not quite.... EEC IV does not monitor EVAP in any way shape or form. Almost EEC IV systems have is a cannister purge (CANP) solenoid that the PCM energizes to suck vapors out of the charcoal cannister. Some EEC IV systems dont even have that. EEC IV does not monitor actual egr flow. 3 systems (that I remember) were used: 1) EVP, which monitored EGR valve position and used a feedback loop (EVR to adjust vac to valve) to set position to that programmed in the PCM. FLow is INFERRED from valve position. 2) PFE, where flow was inferred by pressure in the EGR tube. This is close to actual flow measurement via DPFE, but not quite. 3) EGR valve just opened or closed via the PCM and EGR flow determined by an orifice in the system.

Also EEC IV never monitored missfire.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I'm gonna have to disagree with what most of you guys are saying. For starters, if the engine and the ECU both came from the '03, I would definitely use the '03 computer. As far as the returnless fuel system, whether it is returnless or not shouldn't matter, the fuel pressure is gonna be the critical factor. If you get a good high flow fuel pump and raise the fuel pressure to the same level as the returnless system it should work fine without any retuning. The '03 computer can be reprogrammed if needed. You might also be able to converter to a returnless system.

Despite this, the other option is running a stand alone fuel management system. You can even get them with coil pack or COP ignition. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car originally was a V6 5 speed car, so when I put the motor in i used all the old parts and the car runs fine, I was really wanted to see if I could use the OBD 2 setup so I could actually use a tuner instead of chips.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you plan on getting a tune also, you can probably turn off many of the emissions functions that the 03 PCM has and the 93 car isnt wired for. (downstream o2 monitoring for catalyst, evap monitoring, you could keep the EGR system, just use components compatible with the 03 PCM (dpfe sensor instead of single hose egr pressure sensor). I say go for it! You had better post some pics too :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts