Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Help. I have had this Taurus for about 7 years. 153k. I drive it every couple of weeks. It had started becoming a little hard to start but I could get it to by feathering the pedal. Then it started having to crank longer. Next week I went out to drive it and the battery was dead. The battery charged fine but now the car cranks but will not start. Had it towed to mechanic. He said needed points and plugs. Ater repair, picked it up drove it quite awhile. When I came home, sunroof would barely close. Put back on charger. Next day, would not start. Had it towed back. (I notice when I turn the key 1/2 way during the process of starting, I do not hear the fuel pump as loudly. Mechanic said I have a bad cylinder but this car always had a tempremental one. It always sorted itself out after running a bit.)
Now the mechanic has had the car for 2+ weeks and says he cannot find the problem. I am going to have it towed to another shop if it will not start. I can't believe it is scrap. I think it is the fuel pump (it has had 2 before) but mechanic does not think so.

What do you think? Everything works on it a/c, etc. So sad.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
647 Posts
1. Take the battery out and check it through Autozone and make sure it is good through the battery tester.
2. Check the alternator and make sure the output of the voltage is in the range.
3. Exam the fuel pressure and verify whether your fuel pump is good or not.
4. Check your starter through Autozone and make sure it is good.

Good luck

·
Registered
246 Posts
After getting a good battery, pour a couple teaspoons of gas directly into the engine intake, crank the engine and see what happens. If it starts and runs for a few seconds you've got a fuel problem, if it still don't start you gotta lectricical prollem.

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
Batteries can fail VERY quickly. Start fine one time and nothing 5 minutes later. Typical cause is an internal short or open. BTDT more than once.

Reactions: sheila

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,411 Posts
Hi. Help. I have had this Taurus for about 7 years. 153k. I drive it every couple of weeks. It had started becoming a little hard to start but I could get it to by feathering the pedal. Then it started having to crank longer. Next week I went out to drive it and the battery was dead. The battery charged fine but now the car cranks but will not start. Had it towed to mechanic. He said needed points and plugs. Ater repair, picked it up drove it quite awhile. When I came home, sunroof would barely close. Put back on charger. Next day, would not start. Had it towed back. (I notice when I turn the key 1/2 way during the process of starting, I do not hear the fuel pump as loudly. Mechanic said I have a bad cylinder but this car always had a tempremental one. It always sorted itself out after running a bit.)
Now the mechanic has had the car for 2+ weeks and says he cannot find the problem. I am going to have it towed to another shop if it will not start. I can't believe it is scrap. I think it is the fuel pump (it has had 2 before) but mechanic does not think so.

What do you think? Everything works on it a/c, etc. So sad.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.
For God's sake don't scrap it! I have a Centennial, they are getting less and less all the time! Somebody will be able to diagnose the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts