Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While flooring it, engine/transmission, well, the car just studders somehwere in mid rpm range for a short time, then accelerates on just fine... been doing this since i bought the car at 38K, now has 54K and is out of warranty. Problem has not progressed any. Transmission fluid changed @ 40K, but was experiencing the problem beforehand. Any reccomendations? Could it be my spark plugs or plug wires?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
It could be a number of problems, but start with the plugs and wires. If it had problems, why did you drive off in it?

If that isn't the problem, it may be tranny related. Sometimes changing the fluid will not solve the problem unless it's completely flushed (including the torque convertor flush). Old fluid and junk particals are still floating around and just contaminating the new fluid and you'll need to change it again in a few months. If you have a A4XN transmission, you need Mercon V. It will withstand higher tempuratures and it's a full synthetic fluid. If you had ATF fluid installed (which most mechanics will use) buy some Duralube Mercon V additive. It's a synthetic additive that will make the ATF fluid act like a Mercon V. It may not solve your problem, but it's a precaution you may need to take just in case.

You may need to replace your fuel filter, because it may be clogged.

I'm out of ideas right now.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Is the check engine light on (or has it been on at all since this started)? If so did you get the codes read on it? If there were/are any codes it would greatly assist in any recommendations we could give you. I know this may be an obvious question but some people forget to mention it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No there is no check engine light on, anyways, do you think the dealership will check it out for me for free? Since the problem hasnt worsened at all over 14K miles, it shouldnt be something majorly wrong. Anyway where do you reccomend i take it to get it checked out. just like a local shop or the dealership? BTW i have 2 acquaintances with 2002 Taurus SE's like mine... and there cars experience the same problem mine does.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
If its still under warranty (i believe a 2002 might still be) then get it to the stealership before the warranty runs out.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Originally posted by RitalinKid081@Jun 5 2004, 12:26 PM
No there is no check engine light on, anyways, do you think the dealership will check it out for me for free?  Since the problem hasnt worsened at all over 14K miles,  it shouldnt be something majorly wrong.  Anyway where do you reccomend i take it to get it checked out. just like a local shop or the dealership?  BTW i have 2 acquaintances with 2002 Taurus SE's like mine... and there cars experience the same problem mine does.
Sometimes the tranny will not throw a code, unless the overdrive is completely gone, so it's harder to pin point what the problem is if it's in the transmission. The Ford tech will need to add a special code reader to the transmission and he'll have to drive it to test the shifting and know where the shuddering is coming from. You can't just put a code reader in the slot underneath the steering wheel. If it's not the tranny, then that can be ruled out.

If a spark plug was semi bad, it won't read it either. It won't unless it's completely out. So, if it was to throw a code, it would be too late before the cylinder is damaged. Sometimes, these computers aren't good detecting minor problem, unless it's severe or unless it's just an O2 sensor going bad or a malefunction in the cooling sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts