Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Taurus overheated and began to run really rough. I just had the heads milled ('02 Taurus w/ the 3.0L 12v Vulcan motor). All of the upper gaskets were replaced along with the head gaskets. I aso replaced the spark plugs. Now it doesn't seem to idle right Any ideas on my next step. Also, does the thermostat have an oring around?

·
Super Moderator
8,631 Posts
Any codes?

My guess would be a vacuum leak - forgot to hook up a vac line, one split or broke during the HG change.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, there are no codes. I checked for a vacuum leaks, but didn't find any. I will check again, for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still not fixed. I thought that I would at least have some codes.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Could it be that the wires for the cylinders were hooked back up right? I know that the mechanic I have says he *always* forgets because on these Vulcans. The coil pack I would recheck.

Coil Pack Numbering (Duratec/Vulcan)
Firewall
4 - 6 - 5
3 - 2 - 1
Radiator

Coil Pack Numbering (Vulcan Alternative)
Firewall
5 - 1
6 - 2
4 - 3
Radiator

If that checks out ok, make sure the wires (at least one) has not been scorched through causing the misfire/rough idle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When get back w/ the car I will double check.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When get back w/ the car I will double check.
Hmm check the timing on the cam syncro? maybe that was put back in a way that the timeing is off a little if you dont mark the way the gear comes out.

And maybe the plugs and wires have issues? are they the old ones or gunked up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm check the timing on the cam syncro? maybe that was put back in a way that the timeing is off a little if you dont mark the way the gear comes out.

And maybe the plugs and wires have issues? are they the old ones or gunked up?
I'm thinking it might be something w/ the alignment of the cam syncro. I need to get that alignment tool. The spark plugs are new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After driving for 2 days, the engine light came on. I have codes for cylinder 5 misfire and cylinder 6 misfire.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
My Taurus overheated and began to run really rough. I just had the heads milled ('02 Taurus w/ the 3.0L 12v Vulcan motor). .............
Dumb question. What codes did you have before? Did you do the repair or did your mechanic do it for you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts