Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy, first post(hope in correct spot). Needing to change the power steering pump on my '02 with the base 3.0 engine. Looks like the pump is attached to a large cast aluminum bracket that holds the alternator and some other stuff. Is it possible to get the pulley removed from the pump while in the car? I've never used one of these pullers before and it doesn't look like there's a lot of room in front of the pullet to get anything in there. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the pump in this bracket to pull the pulley since that will entail pulling a lot of other stuff from the front of the engine. Advice???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would replace the camshaft synchronizer before you touch the power steering pump
After doing some research on this site, gotta agree. I had new bearings put in the alternator because it sounded like they were bad. When that didn't fix it, noticed a little play in the power steering pump and automatically assumed it was bad. The noise is definitely a chirping sound so likely the synchronizer. Thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
By play in the PS pump, do you mean axial (in/out) play? If so, that is 100% normal.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
...and most power steering pumps of this type growl a little anyway....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.