Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 Taurus that has become hard to turn and has a squeaking noise somewhere under the hood. If I jack the car up and put it on jackstands it turns easy like it should. But with it on the ground, it takes some effort to turn the wheel. I was thinking power steering pump, but wouldn't it turn just as hard with it on the jackstands if the pump is bad? Anybody have and idea of where to start? Thanks...........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello All

The Strut Towers have a device that allows the wheels and struts to turn, it is kind of like a lazy Susan on the table, it has a bearing inside it to allow the turning.

Since the weight of the vehicle is off the wheels it unloads the bearing and allows the front wheels and strut to turn easily, so I would suspect it to be dry on lubrication or damaged in some way.

Now the bad news, the sturts have to be taken out of the vehicle and dis-assembled using a special tool to compress the coil spring in order to remove the nut at the top of the strut Shock Shaft.

VERY DANGERIOUS TO DO WITHOUT THE SPECIAL TOOLS, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT AT HOME, the spring has allot of stored energy that can MAIM/SEVERLY INJURE YOU.

TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC THAT HAS THE SPECIAL TOOLS TO DO THE LUBE, That is if in fact that is the problem, at least he can troubleshoot the problem and advise you as what needs to be done.

If you still have a WARRENTY, USE IT.

Hope this helps

Dusty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts