Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my moms car for a long time now, she bought it used from the dealer and they got her good. Car supposedly had 63k on it when she got it but the shape it was in looked more like 250k. I'll cut to the chase, the car has a random miss in it. it will miss then try to stall out, it used to actually die before I messed with it. Its throwing a code (at random) for high fuel pressure crap, which when checked it sits around the 98 mark when the car is off and randomly goes from 20-60 whether it has a load on it or not. It has a fuel damper along with the fuel pressure sensor and from what I've been able to find out were only installed on certain models of the 02-03 Vulcan V6. Question is, would the damper cause that crap? and can I just switch out the front fuel rail for one that doesn't have it?

·
Super Moderator
7,967 Posts
The pulse damper is not your issue.

You need to measure the actual fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge to see what is going on with the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have, those were the results just about every time. I've replaced just about everything fuel delivery and ignition related. The only things left are the God knows how many sensors and **** Ford put on the fuel system, the fuel damper, and the ECM. I forget what the code number is but it's the one for high rail pressure.

·
Registered
9,832 Posts
Put your error code in any search engine and you will get a shopping list of things to check. The high pressure error: The system manages the pressure so if the system indicates the pressure is too high, it means the system is not capable of adjusting it. The module is behind the pas side rear seat in sedan, in the wagon it is behind the store box in the rear on the pas side. You need to check to be sure the fuel pressure is actually high, not just a sensor mistake.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you thought about the fuel pump being erratic?
[/QUOTE

Sorry for the late response, been kinda sick. I replaced the fuel pump a while back suspecting that to be the cause but it continued the same thing. I can get a fuel damper online of course but in all out honesty, do I really need to? I have yet to see a damper on another Taurus either in the junkyards around me or on cars for sale on Craigslist. It seems to me that it really doesn't matter if I switch the rail with a non damper rail, I'm not seeing how the computer would be programmed with it because there's no vacuum going to it nor a plug for a sensor. All it's doing now is messing up and the fuel pressure regulator is picking up on that. If that's possible then I'd rather just do that so my mom doesn't have to worry about it again. If I can't then I'll have to order one. I do appreciate any and all help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put your error code in any search engine and you will get a shopping list of things to check. The high pressure error: The system manages the pressure so if the system indicates the pressure is too high, it means the system is not capable of adjusting it. The module is behind the pas side rear seat in sedan, in the wagon it is behind the store box in the rear on the pas side. You need to check to be sure the fuel pressure is actually high, not just a sensor mistake.
-chart-
-chart-

Dude, I haven't replied to you because I was taking your advice. I went to the junkyard and grabbed a fuel pump driver module or whatever its called from the only 2002 Taurus they had among a few other things the car needed. As of right now the car does seem a lot happier and is rev happy but I'm not going to get my hopes up until I run it and test it. I'm really hoping that's it so I can get her interior from a 05 SEL and say job well done. Thank you so much for that info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts