Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having issues w/ the 15amp fuse for the power windows/locks, sunroof, and radio for the past few months. It keeps blowing out every time I accidentally tap a wire under the dash with my foot.

At any rate.. this time I unplugged the negative terminal on the battery, replaced the fuse under the dash, and went to plug the battery back in and I got a spark right on the terminal. Sure enough, I went to open the door and still no interior lights, locks, windows, etc. and when I pulled the fuse that one was blown too. Any ideas? Not sure if it's a short in the system or what.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Definitely a short in the wiring somewhere where you move it with your foot.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I'd look carefully at the wires coming out of the fuse box at the bottom. They're right in range of my size 12s.

For my last 2 Taurii, I've made a simple cover for these wires out of polymer clay and silicone-rubber-mounted it over the wires.

On my 98, the previous owner (with big feet too) had abraded the wires pretty heavily, but nothing was worn beyond the insulation and nothing shorted. On our "new" 04, the 2 POs must have had small feet -- the wires were untouched.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found a wire that was exposed (the coating was cracked all the way around and spread about 1/8") and wrapped some electrical tape around it last week. Replaced the fuse, plugged the battery back in, no sparks/shorts, and I was good to go until tonight. Must have barely tapped the wires again and sure enough, blew the fuse.

Went through the paces (and about 5 fuses) again trying to fix it.. poked around the wires a bit and noticed that several had electrical tape around them in parts already, so I took it off one of them and noticed that there was silver wire wrapped around the wire itself. When I bought the car a couple years ago, I had the dealer take out an aftermarket alarm system because I didn't want it to screw with the electrical system (figures I get issues now anyway). After seeing that wire tonight, am I wrong in thinking the dealer just did a crappy job re-wiring the connections? Not sure what else to try at this point.. trying to avoid taking a trip to the dealer because I know I'll get ripped.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
The clue is going to be somewhere within jiggling range of where you tap. We just can't answer a question about where it is because we aren't able to watch you tap, to see where, in which direction the wires move, etc.

Unless you like buying fuses, try tracing the short with a VOM with a continuity buzzer. One lead on the downstream side of the fuse that blows, the other affixed to ground (the car chassis frame or a ground point). Don't turn on the accessories that are fed by the fuse.

Also, unless you're short, you might consider removing the driver's seat, slapping down a thick layer of cardboard, and lying on your back looking up into the under dash area. I could not work without a head lamp (for example, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002EZ6A8 ), but my eyes are bad.

Myself, I would remove all the tape from the dealer's "repair" if any of the taped wires are near where you are tapping.

Then look at where wires cross any metal: dash frame, steering column or dash reinforcements. Wires can rub against the metal, which can be quite rough. The frames and reinforcements are likely a direct path to ground and a good source of a dead short.

After that, look where smaller wires cross larger ones. Vibration can abrade the insulation between the two.

Finally, if nothing found, look at any point where one wire crosses another. There will be a lot of these, unfortunately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally fixed the problem. The wiring was bad from when I originally got the car a couple years ago - I had the dealer take out an aftermarket remote start and they didn't clean up well. Cleaned it up and made sure nothing was rubbing against the bolts and metal under the dash, and I've been good ever since. Thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts