Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2002 Taurus SE with 12v V6 and 75k miles. The car idles fine in Drive with the A/C on. When I put the car in park with the a/c on the idle drops to 200-300 rpms then surges back to 700. Has stalled several times while in park with a/c on.

Any ideas what could cause this? The car has a recent tune up and is fine when in gear.

Thanks
Ray Nist

·
Registered
318 Posts
You also ought to check the Idle Air Bypass to see if it's cruddy. Sometimes they can be cleaned out, other times they need replacing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if there was a problem with the air idle bypass wouldn't I have problems all the time, not just when in Park with the air on?

Thanks
Ray Nist

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmm.. sounds like what I need to do. Had mine into Ford idiot service dept 3 times before the warranty ran out and they couldnt figure it out. Mine did the same thing. Still does actually, just not bad (2002 ses (smaller duel fuel engine (whatever that one is called)))

I figured it was an idle valve issue, but was a tad perplexed since it occured even when A/C wasnt on. THEN.. I FOUND OUT after reading the manual that the A/C actually kicks in even if your not in A/C mode. Basically their are only 2 setting where the A/C wont "dry" the air. This would explain my perplexity over the lack of a fresh and closed loop button in the car for the air system.

I'm gonna have to find a manual and find that valve.. I'm assuming a good bit of carb cleaner??

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
..hmm I've idled as low as 200 rpms with the a/c on before....maybe I should try that...Apply on the duratec too?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts