Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a loud pop when I put my car in reverse yesterday morning, Thought I backed over something. A quick inspection revealed nothing so I went on my way. Later on my car starts making a clunking noise over every little bump on the road. I did some reading on this forum and replaced the front sway bar endlinks. (Thanks for the Wiki!) On the maiden voyage around the subdivision I realized the clanking was still there. Shortly later I heard a metal object bouncing down the street. I got out of the car and found the bottom ring of the coil spring on the street. Luckily it didnt take out my tire and the clanking no longer exists.

I've noticed there as a recall on the 99-01 cars for this issue but it appears than many 02 models had the same issues. Is there a recall I am overlooking?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Heard a loud pop when I put my car in reverse yesterday morning, Thought I backed over something. A quick inspection revealed nothing so I went on my way. Later on my car starts making a clunking noise over every little bump on the road. I did some reading on this forum and replaced the front sway bar endlinks. (Thanks for the Wiki!) On the maiden voyage around the subdivision I realized the clanking was still there. Shortly later I heard a metal object bouncing down the street. I got out of the car and found the bottom ring of the coil spring on the street. Luckily it didnt take out my tire and the clanking no longer exists.

I've noticed there as a recall on the 99-01 cars for this issue but it appears than many 02 models had the same issues. Is there a recall I am overlooking?
I don't know much about the recalls. They all pretty much rust and break from what I've heard. Time for a new set of strut assemblies!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will probably order the Monroe Quick strut assembly unless there is a better option out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Search the monroe quick struts. Apparently they make tons of noise and nobody knows why.
I read some reviews after I purchased them and saw they made some noise. Im not too concerned about it and half the time I got my wife and kids in the car and I cant even hear a fire truck behind me.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Ive got them on each corner on a 98 and 99 with no issues. I think Bullgeek (Nick) had endlink problem(s) causing his noise.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Search the monroe quick struts. Apparently they make tons of noise and nobody knows why.
The noise is the upper strut mounts for some people. Or in my incase, improperly tightened endlinks. QuickStruts are fine now on my car with endlinks from Deeza.

2002s aren't included in recall, but they should be. Report it to the NHTSA. 2003s should be included to but they are not.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Same thing happened to me this week. '02 Taurus wagon. Heard some scraping noise in the driveway and then the front passenger tire blew. Jacked it up and there's a sharp piece of the spring sticking out.

Piece of cr*p design and manufacture.

·
Registered
32 Posts
happened to my 03 Taurus this morning. Front driverside spring broke and pierced the tire. Main issues I notice upon inspection.
1. bottom side of coil spring was rusted. which was where the crack initiated.
- not sure why these springs rust so easily. is it the coating on the spring? or is it the spring isolator or lower spring seat design. could be one or all. But I did notice that all these factors could have been designed better by Ford. These springs are obviously a very high strength material and very sensitive to corrosion.
2. The spring seat is not suffient to catch the spring in the event of a break. They have a spring catcher over the tire, but not on the inboard side. The spring breaks and can get under the spring seat, and coil around and contact the tire.

Very poor design, Looks like Ford has not learned their lesson.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Everyone who has had a spring break and puncture a tire should file a incident report with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration at NHTSA.gov you will need your VIN number when you fill out the forms online.

It is necessary whenever you have safety related failures on any vehicle to file these forms. This notifies the govt of the issue, and when there are sufficient reports they will open an investigation into the issue, and can force the automaker to issue a recall.

Unfortuneatly FoMoCo isn't doing the right thing with these spring failures, maybe the govt will make them if we get enough reports.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Weird. I was just cleaning out my file box of outdated receipts and correspondence and ran across my extended warranty (not recall) letter for the fractured front springs for my 99. Ext. warr.#04M04 states ford will replace both front springs if one fractures free of charge within 10yrs./150k of original warr. on vehicles up to and including 2001 model yr. Im SOL with my 99 even though that particular car has only 126k, its 86d by age.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I PAID to have the 5F1Z-5304-AA steel front spring shields installed on my '02 which was NOT covered under any "program". Later, both front springs broke and the shields saved two Michelin tires and a pair of aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The recall covered 99-01 cars only... I have an '02 and the exact same thing happened to my car. As for the shields, they were only available for a while as a fix for cars where the spring did NOT break. Also - DON'T get the Munroe quickstruts. Just went through TWO sets on a Taurus before the customer agreed to additional cost for Ford struts and springs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
happened to my 03 Taurus this morning. Front driverside spring broke and pierced the tire. Main issues I notice upon inspection.
1. bottom side of coil spring was rusted. which was where the crack initiated.
- not sure why these springs rust so easily. is it the coating on the spring? or is it the spring isolator or lower spring seat design. could be one or all. But I did notice that all these factors could have been designed better by Ford. These springs are obviously a very high strength material and very sensitive to corrosion.
2. The spring seat is not suffient to catch the spring in the event of a break. They have a spring catcher over the tire, but not on the inboard side. The spring breaks and can get under the spring seat, and coil around and contact the tire.

Very poor design, Looks like Ford has not learned their lesson.
Bailey,

What month was your car built (can be found on the driver door sticker) ?

How many miles on the car ?

My curiosity is based on the fact that I have a 04 model that was built in 9/2003 .

Thank in advance,

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
i'm on my third set of springs on my 02. ford will not do anything unless
forced to do it. file the problems with the government. hopefully i'll get my money back at some point.

way to go ford.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think my car was built in april 03, I'll check the sticker and repost if it was different than I remember. It has 120,000 miles on it, mostly highway driving.

Replacement of the strut was a real pain in the a'' in 19degree weather. The stabar drop link was damaged by the spring so I still have to pickup a set of those. Was only able to get driver side replaced. Figure I'll do the passenger side tomorow, but it should only take a couple of hours I hope. Only good way to do it is drop the subframe a bit to get the strut in. The Monroe quickstruts looked good with exception of the spring placement,,,, it was about 15mm away from the endstop on the lower springseat. So in my opinion it was not placed correctly during assembly. But it should have little effect on the car as I imagine the aftermarket springs are not designed with pierce points in mind like the OEM springs are.

The pinch bolt wouldn't come out, it was corroded to the aluminum knuckle. Thanks to the ford engineers for failing to understand galvanic corrosion and preventing it from occuring by design. Hope they do better on the newer vehicles. Had to use a whole bottle of Mapp gas and a big hammer with a lot of cursing. I really need to invest in a small oxy-acetylene torch for such occasions.

guess I should have posted in my own post instead of hijacking this one.. sorry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Holy ****, mine happened last sunday. Right as I was reversing out of a parking spot. THe day before I started a new job 75 minutes away.

DAMN YOU FORD

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.