Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, normally at the end of the summer my front tires have more wear and get moved to the back next summer. Not so this year. The front tires still have more tread than the rear.

What's the best way to take care of this without spending a lot of money? I've gotta do something but I'm not sure what.

<div align="center">^ Front of car ^
Left Rear [attachmentid=27666] Right Rear

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Is the car lowered? Is it suffering from SAS? When was it last aligned? Has the rear end ever been wrecked? Ran over any curbs lately?

There is no camber adjustment on the rear, only toe. Inspect the lower control arms to make sure they aren't bent. Don't ever let a tow truck or mechanic strap or lift the vehicle by the lower control arms, they'll bend very quickly, and permanently.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the car lowered?
[/b]
Not yet. I'm planning to lower it eventually. Hopefully the right way when I can afford it.

Is it suffering from SAS?
[/b]
Yes. It's not as bad as some but it's bad.

When was it last aligned?
[/b]
July '07 I had a front end alignment, wheel balance and rotation. The guy mentioned I should keep an eye on the rear.

Has the rear end ever been wrecked?
[/b]
Not that I know of.

Ran over any curbs lately?
[/b]
A couple years ago I drove the right rear up the incline and it fell off the curb at very slow speed... and it didn't so much fall as slowly grind down the side of the tire/rim.

There is no camber adjustment on the rear, only toe. Inspect the lower control arms to make sure they aren't bent. Don't ever let a tow truck or mechanic strap or lift the vehicle by the lower control arms, they'll bend very quickly, and permanently.
[/b]
Never been towed or lifted by the control arms.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
The tire wear on the inside edge is caused by negative camber. The negative camber is caused by the SAS. Fix the SAS and get the rear end aligned.

The adjustable control arms are great, but I wouldn't spend the money on them to correct a separate problem... the failing springs and/or struts. If you get lowering springs, then get the adjustable LCAs.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
The tire wear on the inside edge is caused by negative camber. The negative camber is caused by the SAS.
[/b]
I thought that the tire leaning in was Positive camber, and the tire leaning out was negative. :dunno:

I also thought that the rear suspension allowed for camber adjustment (though very limited). :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
The tire wear on the inside edge is caused by negative camber. The negative camber is caused by the SAS.
[/b]
I thought that the tire leaning in was Positive camber, and the tire leaning out was negative. :dunno:

I also thought that the rear suspension allowed for camber adjustment (though very limited). :dunno:
[/b][/quote]

No camber adjustment, only toe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The rear can be made camber adjustable by installing eccentrics(the same ones that are used for toe) on the arms that do not have them. Have done this quite a few times. Make sure your arms are straight, rear springs are in good shape.etc...

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
The rear can be made camber adjustable by installing eccentrics(the same ones that are used for toe) on the arms that do not have them[/b]
it's still very very limited.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The rear can be made camber adjustable by installing eccentrics(the same ones that are used for toe) on the arms that do not have them[/b]
it's still very very limited.
[/b]
It's not that limited. I've done it on a couple bulls, including my own, and i believe the kit gives you about one degree of adjustment, which should be enough. I've lowered my car, and i have the rear end within spec.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts