Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all let me first give you some background on the situation. About a month or so ago my Grandmother drove my sable and forgot to turn the lights off. Needless to say later that night I needed to use it in a hurry and found a dead battery. So i used an old car charger that also has a start option thats about 25yrs old. It still works and I needed to go so I chose the start option which dumps about 50Amps into the car. I did, car started fine never had any more issues until the next morning. I try to start the vehicle but get clicking followed by nothing and i notice on the rubber boot on the alternator it seemed as if electricity petrified the rubber boot so it is very brittle and withers away. I also couldn't start my car so I checked the battery and it was only putting out just barley 8V so I was led to believe I might have fried the alternator, replaced it, car started up again no worries. Next day and the car wont start right away it made a very rapid and loud clicking noise. I thought maybe the starter got fried as well so I put a screwdriver across the terminals and started right up as soon as I touched the two terminals together (its a relatively new starter, about three months). So I thought maybe the connections were dirty so i sanded down all the connections going to the battery and lightly sanded the ring terminals that go to the starter because they were pretty clean. Worked fine and same clicking noise later on in the day.

I noticed this only happens once the car cools down, If I start it up then shut it off it will start flawlessly every time but as soon as i let the car cool down it makes the clicking noise almost as if it has a bad starter solenoid, it usually takes no more then three tries to get the car to go from clicking to turning over the engine and starting. I replaced the ignition switch, no cigar. I also tried doing it in neutral to see if it could have been the TR sensor, still wont start on the first try. I checked to see if there were any loose connections but from what I can see everything looks good I am totally stumped anyone know whats going on?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only thing you fried was the battery.

You don't have enough voltage to engage the starter. It starts just after driving it because the battery still has enough of a charge to crank it. After it sits the battery goes dead.

replace the battery and all should be well

1 - 2 of 2 Posts