Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I have seen a bunch of threads with this same problem, but I have never seen a final solution and I am going crazy.

I have an 02 taurus with the duratec 24v. I bought it with 105k and it currently has 135k. Since buying it I have replaced plugs, wires, pcv, upper intake manifold gaskets, airfilter, fuel filter, IAC valve, EGR valve, and cleaned MAF.

A couple weeks ago my car started misfiring only at idle. There is no code being thrown, and no sense to any of this madness. It only misfires at idle when it's warm. If its cold and still in high idle, there is no misfire. Drive is smooth and misfire free. It misfires lessbarely misses in park. 95% of the misfires come while stopped in drive, they disappear in neutral and park (for the most part). I have noticed a fairly significant drop in fuel economy. 15-18 city, 20-22 hwy.

I am lost and frustrated as to what could be causing the misfire. I have sprayed for vacuum leaks and nothing comes up. I thought maybe it was my EGR, so I replaced that today and the problem is consistently there.

Threads have lead me to believe it could be 1 of 2 things. DPFE or camshaft position sensor. At least of the small things. Larger things I dont want to deal with could be valve seal, or head gasket.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Cam sensors VERY farely fail on the 24V engine. Get hold of a scanner that can show fuel trims as a first step. Check fuel trims at idle and while crusing and report back. I am guessing a vac leak you havent been able to find.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yes, read fuel trims and check O2 sensor switching. I noticed you didn't mention having replaced the lower intake gasket, and did you replace the PCV hose(s)?

DPFE would have likely set a position sensor code before it caused the car to run rough, and you can eliminate it by simply removing and plugging the vac supply to the EGR while running. If it still misses, it's not that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will definitely look into the fuel trim and o2 stuff. Just need to find a scanner. Any suggestions?

I did replace the pcv hose, not the lower intake gasket though. I did have the pcv hose off a month or so ago and was not entirely confident on how I got it back on so I will check that as well. I'm not so sure its vacuum. I have sprayed every area possible at every angle and not the slightest hint at an increase in rpm. Not to mention I have had almost every hose replaced since buying the car. I have noticed a decrease in frequency since replacing the egr valve last night.

my next step is to run seafoam through my vacuum system thinking there may be some pretty heavy carbon buildup around the egr and valves.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Although pro mechanics will turn their noses up, I was perfectly happy with my Actron CP9180 considering I paid under $100 for it. You could probably find one used for around $50-$75 now.

If you want to spend more, the AutoXray 6000 is what I currently have, and I've been impressed with its capabilities on both foreign and domestic cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts