Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other morning, I went to start my car to warm up before taking the kids to school. It started, but jumped to a high idle (2000-2500 rpm) for about 2 seconds, fell down to 500-700, sputtered, died and backfired. It’s never backfired before or since. It did this a few more times without the backfire. If I tap the gas, it stays running, but stays really high. Otherwise, it drops really low, chugs and sputters and dies.

There were no issues with it the day before. Can anyone please point me in the direction of what to look at. I was thinking Throttle Position Sensor, but from what I’ve seen here on the site, that’s not matching what it is doing. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, it’s going to be Monday before I have time to get outside and look at it. So I’m spending the next few days trying to research what to look at, but it’s been a dead end the last few days.

·
Super Moderator
7,912 Posts
Without at least pending codes any guess would be a crap shoot.

My guess would be a major vacuum leak such as a large vac hose split, fell off a fitting, etc.

TPS issue is unlikely. You an use a good scan tool to look at the TPS%. Closed throttle should be 15% to 18% and increase smoothly as throttle is opened.

I assume we are talking about a Vulcan engine????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without at least pending codes any guess would be a crap shoot.

My guess would be a major vacuum leak such as a large vac hose split, fell off a fitting, etc.

TPS issue is unlikely. You an use a good scan tool to look at the TPS%. Closed throttle should be 15% to 18% and increase smoothly as throttle is opened.

I assume we are talking about a Vulcan engine????
I do believe so. It is not the DOHC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts