Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have not really chased this problem too badly on the car yet as I have limited resources, however, I just replaced the plugs and wires. When I did that i forgot to attach the vaccum line to the intake duct...The check engine light was off for 5 days...I saw the line was off, put it back on and within 5 minutes, the light was on...I'm thinking with the line detached it leaned out the mixture to spec for the computer. So should my first thing be to replace the MAF? With the line disconnected the car ran just fine, no stumbles or nothing...
I have already cleaned the UIM and throttle body and all that so my mileage is about up to estimates. I get about 380 to a tank on highway, and about 17-18 mpg city....
I dont want to replace a part if necessary, as I said, I have limited resources....

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
You can unhook your battery for 15 minutes, reconnect it, and take the car out and drive it. PCM will relearn fuel trims and may keep light off.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish it was that easy. I did that last night, took 10 minutes to come back on. My regulator is in the tank, part of the pump assembly so there is really no way to check that, and that does not sound like a fun project!!

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
There is no mechanical or electrical fuel pressure regulator in the tank. Your 01 has a returnless fuel system with a fuel rail pressure sensor that interfaces with the PCM and the FDM in the trunk to control the fuel pressure by controlling the speed of the fuel pump.

An off the wall question..... your engine isnt a JY replacement, is it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah but no. I bought it off of a towing company. They knew the owner of the taurus when they bought it, and they had a wrecked sable that was owned by an old lady with 60K. I would not have trusted them, however, a friend of the family has known them for years...I have heard about this rail sensor, but there is not one on my car, I have looked everywhere on the rails....

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
You do have a rail sensor... trust me. Since 2000, all Taurus engines have been returnless fuel systems with a rail mounted fuel pressure sensor.

Reason I asked about a JY engine is that I have been working with another member on a 172/175 problem that seemed to defy diagnosis, and it looks like he had a JY FLEX FUEL engine installed in place of a gas engine. The flex has larger injectors than the gas engine, and the gas engine PCM couldnt deal with the larger injectors, resulting in rich codes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm....Maybe that could be my issue? Is there anyway to tell the difference between injectors? I noticed most of the injectors at the junkyard had red o rings, and mine has green, but I figured this would make no difference...

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the flex flu engine... the ones i have come across have had green o rings... and thats an on the spot dx about the fuel mix with the jy.. if you want a true reset with disconnect you have to disconnect both battery cables and hold them together to ground out the current held in the computers for atleast 30 seconds.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet, now to replace the injectors with some JY ones to see if that helps...Anyone have a pic of the rail sensor so I know what to look for??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.