Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched this forum but can't figure out how to change a right rear brake light.
I have two factory mounted speakers in the tailgate, right in the spot where the bulbs must be.
Other posts mention two screws but I don't have them.
Do I need to take off the plastic trim that runs from one side of the tailgate to the other?
Maybe I pop off the speaker cover and remove the speaker.
Please help.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
There are two reflectors about in the areas you are referring to. The lights mounted to the body (not the hatch) are the only red (or red/yellow) illuminating lights). Reverse lamps are the only lights that illuminate that are part of the hatch.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I've searched this forum but can't figure out how to change a right rear brake light.
I have two factory mounted speakers in the tailgate, right in the spot where the bulbs must be.
Other posts mention two screws but I don't have them.
Do I need to take off the plastic trim that runs from one side of the tailgate to the other?
Maybe I pop off the speaker cover and remove the speaker.
Please help.

OK...... First off, its its your BRAKE lights or turn signal bulbs. that are out, those are located in the light housings to the side of the tailgate. Those are simple and just take off the light housing and the bulb holder just turns out of the housing. Very easy and only a couple minutes to change.
If its your high mounted brake light, you have to pop off just the top piece of molding from your tailgate. Then there are 4 nuts that need to be removed to lift off the light housing and change the bulds there.
If its your BACK-UP lights, those are mounted in the tailgate section of the light bar. For this you must remove all of the inside molding from the tailgate then you can get to the bulb holders. These are the hardest to change and I recomend that if one goes out, change both of them while its apart becasue you know once you put everything back togeather, the second bulb will go bad.

·
Banned
323 Posts
I think the designers and engineers make things difficult to do just so they can sit in their chairs and laugh at everyone trying to figure out how to change something that should be easy...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, you're correct. This has nothing to do with the tailgate. Right rear brakelight.
Anyway do I access the bulb from inside the vehicle, or remove the housing from the outside somehow?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Ok, you're correct. This has nothing to do with the tailgate. Right rear brakelight.
Anyway do I access the bulb from inside the vehicle, or remove the housing from the outside somehow?
The tail light housing is mounted to the body with I beleave 2 screws. Remove them and the complete housing will come off then you unhook the light pigtail to change the bulb. It should only take a few minutes to change those bulbs. Again, I would change both sides togeather so you dont have to worry about the other side going bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aha! There are two large phillips head screws right in the groove where the tailgate seats itself. Unscrew both, pop out the lens. The brake light is the lower one, the directional is the upper one. Just give the bulb housing a 90 degree twist.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
the procedure is also listed in your owners manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The tail light cover is mounted to the body with I beleave 2 screws. Remove them and the complete housing will come off then you unhook the light pigtail to change the bulb. It should only take a few minutes to change those bulbs. Again, I would change both sides togeather so you dont have to worry about the other side going bad.
Agree! but you should also consider the brand. I used the one made by harbor freight. You could also consider LEDs, which are brighter and cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Agree! but you should also consider the brand. I used the one made by harbor freight. You could also consider LEDs, which are brighter and cheaper.

LED bulbs are a nice option in a CLEAR lens. When you have an LED bulb behind a colored lens, there really isnt an advantage. I have yellow LED's for my turn cignals and like those, but for the cost of the LED's compaired to regular bulbs in a colored lens, its not worth it to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There are two reflectors about in the areas you are referring to. Reverse lamps are the only lights that illuminate that are part of the hatch.
This is what I was looking for! It took me forever to realize that those red lenses directly above the reverse lights in the tailgate are not actually lights, they are only reflectors. I kept thinking there were burned out bulbs in there and I couldn't figure out how to access them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts