Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on an 01 wagon with a 3.0/ v-6. Almost everytime it is shifted into reverse from any gear it dies. Although shifting into any gear other than reverse is fine. After it dies it is usually a pig to try to start again. You have to put it in neutral and pump the flip out of the gas pedal. My thought is that it just isnt getting enough gas or air to feed the transition. So i put new gas and some red line gas treatment into it and it seems to be shifting into reverse without dying now but I want to make sure it couldnt be anything else. I checked all of the connections to the transmission and nothing seems to be out of place... I am stumped. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou :usa:

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
I am working on an 01 wagon with a 3.0/ v-6. Almost everytime it is shifted into reverse from any gear it dies. Although shifting into any gear other than reverse is fine. After it dies it is usually a pig to try to start again. You have to put it in neutral and pump the flip out of the gas pedal. My thought is that it just isnt getting enough gas or air to feed the transition. So i put new gas and some red line gas treatment into it and it seems to be shifting into reverse without dying now but I want to make sure it couldnt be anything else. I checked all of the connections to the transmission and nothing seems to be out of place... I am stumped. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou :usa:
Check the backup lights.

In the wagon they short in the accordian to the tailgate.

Also check TRS. (trans range selector switch) on top of transmission where the shift cable attaches.

-chart-

ps My backup light wires shorted into the radio speaker wires.

-01 Sable wagon

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Pumping the gas does NOTHING for a fuel injeted engine.

Might want to clean the IAC in addition to what Chart suggested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts